Anxious Aloof American Abroad

I had always known since I arrived on Northwestern’s campus as a naive freshman with zero knowledge of anything, that my undergraduate career will not be complete unless I studied abroad. Studying abroad was truly an experience that I was looking forward to for so long; having the opportunity to be in another country with its own unique, rich, and complex, culture and history would allow me to learn and grow in new ways I could have never imagined.

In the 9 days I was home and preparing for my departure, it finally began to settle in my reality that my arrival to Stellenbosch was approaching extremely quickly–and I didn’t feel prepared in any way, shape, or form. Despite the months leading up filled with packets, brochures, orientations, and stalking the IPD website, I still didn’t know what to expect. In the car ride on the way to airport, my heart raced and every possible thought went through my head as gave myself a mental pep talk that sounded a bit like this:

“You’re not scared, Iheoma right? You can’t be scared. You’ve got this!  ‘Who gon stop you huh?!’ Nobody that’s right. Did you pack properly? You didn’t forget anything did you? You have your passport right….right?? I wonder what terminal I’m going to? WAIT are my bags under 50 pounds …I’m gonna be so pissed if it’s not under 50 pounds” etc. etc.

On top of that my mind began to recollect the various forms of advice I received from friends and loved ones in the days leading up to departure:

Mom- “Don’t act stupid. Don’t lose your passport” (uhmm alright thanks Mom)

Dad- “Spend our money wisely *he said as he made a futile attempt to stifle the weeping sounds from his wallet*”

My brothers: “Don’t get Ebola” (Why would they even say that??)

When my dad and I finally arrived at the airport and pulled up to the curb for Delta departures, it was as if my mind finally cleared. With two big suitcases, black Jansport on my back, and ladybug pillow pet in tow I finally accepted the magnitude of the journey I was about to embark on. I, Iheoma Nkemere, daughter, junior at Northwestern, global health student, was about to begin writing the newest and most exciting (thus far) chapter in my life.

Goodbye LAX. On to JFK…then AMS….then CPT for the adventure of a lifetime.