A Cold Return to Evanston

Christian Dayal, Public Health in Europe, Fall 2014

Une photo avec certains de mes amis !

Une photo avec certains de mes amis !

After spending a semester abroad in Paris, coming back to Evanston has been quite the experience. With the Arc de Triomphe being replaced with the arch, and the endless crepes with Wings Over, the experience back at Northwestern is far from my incredible time in Paris. Although initially, it was good to be back in the USA for a bit, once I settled in to my classes I realized how terribly I missed France and what I would do to relive my experiences there with my friends. Being able to live like a Parisien and indulge myself within the French culture was an experience I will never forget and I will most definitely repeat when I return next year for Euro 2016.

I constantly find myself looking back to my time, and wishing I could go back to specific moments that really were honestly some of the most incredible moments of my life. I would frankly to anything to go back! From the people I met, to the places I was able to visit, my time in France was somewhat magical and I truly believe nothing will ever be able to replicate the moments and emotions experienced. Everything that transpired in Paris was meant to happen there and there was no way I would have been able to have experienced and shared that anywhere else.

This trip was truly a blessing and I am so grateful that I was given such an opportunity. I will never forget the epic moments I was able to experience and share with my peers in France as I constantly peruse my photo library and speak to the friends I met through this opportunity. As I continue to grow as a person, this program was one of the most magical experiences I have ever experienced and the moments shared will forever be reeling in the back of my head. If you are reading this and you are debating going to Paris, I would say that there is no debate and to just start packing your bags and to buy a French dictionary.