Up the Great Wall

Huiqing Xu, NU in China, Summer 2014

These past few weeks have passed by in the blink of an eye. Over such a short period of time, we’ve visited many different places. We went to the Great Wall, the Forbidden City, two museums, and a law office. My favorite Saturday excursion was the trip to the Great Wall. We took the bus there early in the morning, but when we arrived, the temperature already rose to the unbearable afternoon levels.

We walked up to the top of the wall by foot, which was maybe about three quarters of a mile of stairs. I was out of breath after the first quarter, and by the second quarter, I was about to start crawling up those stairs. In the end, the hike was worth it. The view was amazing at the top! You could see the top of the trees and mountains. These pictures might do a better job explaining than my words would:

View from the Great Wall

IPD at the Great Wall

Toboggan down the Great Wall!

Aside from all the excursions and after-class adventures, the main focus of my trip is school. The schoolwork is a lot heftier than I had expected. We have classes five days a week. There are 3 hours of Chinese class every morning followed by a 2 hour lunch break and a 2 hour political economy course. There is quite a bit of studying and homework for my Chinese class, but we have a very small class, which I find to be very helpful.

Chinese IV class