Hiking around Santiago and in the Andes

Michael Aleman, PUC Exchange, Fall 2012

Though my classes didn’t allow me much time for it, I did manage to get in a few good hikes during the course of the semester. The following are pictures from three separate outings I went on during the semester, two with a school club and one with a friend of mine.

Early on in the semester, I went on a day hike to the east of the city. Normally the city is covered by a fairly thick blanket of smog, but we got lucky in that it rained the day before on a weekend. I was living in Las Condes at the time, so getting to the hills was pretty quick.

Screen shot 2015-02-06 at 1.47.29 PM

This was an informal introductory dayhike organized by CAU or “Club Andino Universitario”, a university club. Most of these people had never really done much hiking but were nevertheless interested in learning more about the sport. Note the layer of smog above Santiago – definitely makes you want to hike out of the city more often.

Screen shot 2015-02-06 at 1.47.39 PM

One of my favorite hikes was to Cerro La Union, located a few hours away from Santiago. I was here for three days and two nights to learn about winter camping in the Andes. It was a course taught by both enthusiasts as well as professionals, all of whom were brought together with eager students by the Club Andino Universitario at PUC. The following are a few shots from that weekend.

Screen shot 2015-02-06 at 1.47.53 PM