ABC: the Holiday Season in Paris

Vasantham Annadurai, Public Health in Europe, Fall 2012

After a November packed with travel, I’m finally in Paris for good until we fly back to the States. While travelling through Germany, Switzerland, and Italy was well worth it, I am happy to say goodbye to Ryanair and let Paris back into my arms (now stronger after all the duffel-bag-lugging). And with the holiday season in full gear, I’m now able to participate in some quintessential (read: touristy) holiday activities! In convenient alphabetical order…

Angelina’s hot chocolate

Known to the French as La Maison Angelina, this beloved tea room, founded in 1903, sits right across from the Tuileries Gardens on Rue de Rivoli. The refined interior décor alone seemed to transport us to the Belle Epoque. Their famous hot chocolate is no bargain but, in my opinion, was well worth the price. For 8€, I received a jug of hot chocolate and a tiny pot of whipped cream. This isn’t Swiss Miss we’re dealing with here, guys. Angelina’s thick L’Africain hot chocolate tasted like angels dancing on my taste buds. The whipped cream comes unflavored, but I’m sure the hot chocolate jug had enough sugar for the whole season.

Photo credit: Julie Conrad

Chocolat chaud from La Maison Angelina

Boutiques, for holiday shopping

Seeing something even as simple as Christmas trees for sale on street corners puts me in the holiday spirit (like everything else here, the trees are much smaller than at home). And there hasn’t been a better time to go shopping in boutiques around Paris, if you want to skip the touristy presents (honestly, nobody really wants an Eiffel Tower key chain). It’s the perfect Sunday activity. I’d recommend starting off with the open-air food market by Place Monge, and then shopping nearby on the cobblestoned Rue Mouffetard (one of the oldest in Paris), lined with many cafes, boutiques, and specialty shops. Follow this up with the Marais, the Jewish district, which is pricier but one of the few areas of Paris that stays open on Sundays. At the very least, you’ll find some inspiration by window-shopping along the quaint pre-revolution-era alleys.

Christmas Markets at the Champs-Elysées

This market, stretching from Metro Champs Elysées-Clémenceau to Place de la Concorde, is the largest one accessible with your “Zones 1-2” metro pass (the market at La Défense is bigger). Its food booths offer mulled wine, regional French cuisines, candied apples, waffles, and even churros. You can also shop for soaps, teas, scarves, crafts, jewelry, Christmas decorations, and many other gifts while Sinatra and Jacques Brel songs play from the speakers along the street. I’d recommend going at night– the City of Light lives up to its name.

Candied apples at the Christmas Markets

Posters marked down from 50 to 5 euros– so generous

Caramel apple tea at a tea stand

Cute girl at the Markets

Just your average creperie