Skip to main content

Category: Community

Take Back the Night Encourages Sexual Violence Awareness and Prevention

With April being National Sexual Assault Awareness Month, Northwestern University organizations have collaborated on events focused on raising awareness on sexual violence.

This week, the Take Back the Night March will take place in an effort to give a voice to the issue of sexual violence. This annual event, which starts as a rally, march, and then speak out, will begin at 6 p.m. on Thursday, April 23 at the Rock.

PossePlus Retreat Creates Dialogue & Community

This spring, more than 5,000 college students at 48 colleges and universities across the country will engage in dialogue about crime and punishment in the United States.

Northwestern University became a part of this dialogue at this year’s annual PossePlus Retreat, a weekend of interactive workshops geared towards creating a safe space to discuss social, cultural, and political issues.

New IFC President Talks Greek Community Goals

Mark Nelson, the new Interfraternity Council President, talked about the ways in which the Greek community provides a real sense of home on campus and his goal of increasing chapter’s connections to each other and the rest of the NU community at the Officer Installation Ceremony on Feb. 5.

Nelson talked about the night he found out he was accepted to Northwestern by Early Decision as he checked his emails as usual before bed: “I listened to Kevin Rudolph’s “I Made It,” did a horrifically awkward dance, and then went downstairs to watch a movie with my parents. I didn’t post anything on Facebook, nor did I tell my parents.

Introducing Your 2015 NUDM Emcees

Hi! Our names are Cristina Garcia-Montes and Diego Henriquez-Garcia, and we are the NUDM Emcees this year! We are extremely excited to work with Starlight Children’s Foundation and the Evanston Community Foundation in their missions to help the communities around us. Starlight, our primary beneficiary, is an amazing organization that helps chronically ill children live better lives.

“You Are Beautiful” Arch Celebrates NU Body Acceptance Week 2015

This week, a gray arch on Library Plaza proclaiming “You Are Beautiful” in bold, black letters will remind the Northwestern community of one of the essential messages of Northwestern’s Body Acceptance Week (BAW) 2015.

The art installation, created by Chicago artist Matthew Hoffman, kicks off the Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS)-sponsored week of workshops focusing on positive body image, nurturing yourself with healthful food and exercise, and raising awareness on media messages about body standards.

Northwestern Celebrates Black History Month

When I was younger my family and I were a part of a community of Black families in Milwaukee. Every few months we would go on camping trips together to bond with one another. We had meetings where we learned about our history, culture, traditions, and important life skills in relation to those things. In my high school history class, we learned a more accurate and whole-sided lesson about the Civil Rights Movement that didn’t just teach about Martin Luther King Jr and Rosa Parks. When I came to Northwestern, I realized the majority of people did not have that same privilege growing up. It is rare in this society that we have the chance to explore, learn, and discuss our culture and history, and what it all means for Black people today.

Senior Woman’s Service Award from the Alumnae of Northwestern University

The Alumnae of Northwestern University has begun its annual search for a female, senior candidate who displays collaboration, initiative, innovation, inspiration and leadership in the community to present the $2,500 Senior Woman’s Service Award.

With volunteerism a motivating factor behind The Alumnae of Northwestern University, the idea of honoring a senior woman who has made a noteworthy volunteer contribution as part of the University community was proposed by the Alumnae Board in 2001. Each year since then, undergraduate senior women have submitted their resumes to the Center for Student Involvement (CSI), to be reviewed by a committee of the Alumnae Board for consideration.

Doing my PArt to Welcome Wildcats

I hate asking for help.

I, like many Northwestern students, have always prided myself on my independence, for better or worse. I taught myself how to ride a bike, sans training wheels, and refused Band-Aids for the numerous cuts or scrapes incurred from my less-than-coordinated riding. I survived without any help and thus, my adolescent mantra was born

Seasons Change and So Does Norris

While plans are well underway for a new university commons, Norris University Center staff and administration have been busy making even more changes to accommodate all visitors.

In the past few months, Norris has seen these changes in the form of expansions, renovations, and new room set-ups.

What’s Next at Norris?

Interview with Kelly Ann SchaeferNorris University Center Executive Director

In the fall of 2019, Northwestern University is on track to have a new university center. The plan to build a new center is well underway and on schedule as the university prepares to break ground in 2017. In the meanwhile though, Norris University Center staff and administration is still actively working to serve the needs of students.

“We’re using the research we have for the new center to do what we can to improve our existing facilities,” said Kelly Ann Schaefer, the university center’s executive director.