Staff Spotlight | Tracey Gibson-Jackson

tracey gibson-jackson

Title: Director

Department: Student Organizations & Activities

Where are you from?
Philadelphia

What brought you to Student Affairs?
As a freshman living in the residence halls. I got in trouble for being too loud and violating quiet hours. I was documented and sanctioned to attend a hall council meeting. Not realizing it then, the hall director Joe Mullem saw something in me. I went to that sanctioned hall council meeting, was elected wing representative for my floor, became good friends with a Resident Advisor and thought being an RA seemed fun and the free room and board was not bad! I was a Resident Advisor, and orientation leader. I really enjoyed developing and executing programs and activities. I was quickly bit by the student affairs bug! I was blessed to be connected with great mentors who helped me develop my passion for SA. By the middle of sophomore year I knew I wanted a career in SA. Sometimes getting into trouble leads to bigger and better things.

How many years have you worked in Student Affairs at Northwestern?  12.5

What’s your favorite part about working in Student Affairs?
My colleagues! I absolutely love the passion and dedication of our division. We are some bad asses!!!!

What recommendation(s) do you have for someone new to Student Affairs?
Get to know people around the university not….. just in student affairs. Join committees, take advantages of professional development opportunities. Don’t be afraid to speak up and challenge things. Closed mouths don’t get fed!

Who or what has had the greatest influence on your career?
My mentor Kathy Lynch. She was the Associate Director of Housing and Residence Life during my undergraduates years at Kutztown University. She planted a lot of good student affairs seeds and made sure I had access to the right people and resources.

What inspires you?
My faith

What can’t you live without?
My family and my baby dog PPJ, orange tic tacs, honey crisp apples, navel oranges and cherries from Harry & David (that is my one guilty pleasure don’t judge!)

How do you like to spend your free time?
I love shopping!!! and spending time with my sweet baby dog Pepper Princess Jackson (PPJ). She is a two year old west highland terrier

What’s your favorite spot on campus?
East lawn of Norris