Staff Spotlight | Sam Conway

samantha-conwayTitle: Senior Program Coordinator

Department: Health Promotion and Wellness

Where are you from? Arlington Heights, IL

What brought you to Student Affairs? I joined Northwestern Student Affairs in August 2013 as a graduate social work intern in both CAPS and HPaW. I had experience with peer health education and psychoeducation with young adults prior to my internship and I was excited to work with the NU population. I then joined HPaW in a temporary capacity through 2015. Though I left HPaW to work in Feinberg for a bit, I deeply missed working in Student Affairs and I couldn’t wait to return permanently (so I did in 2016)! Our students challenge me to think on my feet, to stay present, and to be a genuine role model for living a balanced life.

How many years have you worked in Student Affairs at Northwestern? 4

What recommendation(s) do you have for someone new to Student Affairs?
In my experience, it can be easy to stay put in one’s own space or department. We are all so busy and my work, for example, is student-facing work that keeps me shut away in my own office most of the time. I would recommend that new SA members advocate to be introduced to colleagues across campus. Make time for a walk to get coffee (or a virtual coffee..) with someone who you might not work with as closely. I’ve truly enjoyed the connections I’ve made throughout the division.

What can’t you live without?
Coffee, my family, other people’s dogs

How do you like to spend your free time?
I love playing board games, taking walks with my daughter, Matilda, and watching dark comedies like “BoJack Horseman.”