Staff Spotlight: Anne VanOsdol

anne vanosdol

Title: Director

Department: Special Projects

Where are you from?
Cleveland, Ohio, but I’ve lived in the Chicagoland area since 1976

What brought you to Student Affairs?
I started as a temp working for Dorms and Commons, now known as Residential Services. I thought I was going to use my tuition benefit to become a teacher so that I would have summers off. Probably not the best reason to teach. I ended up running summer conferences for 15 years, with no summers off. Serves me right.

How many years have you worked in Student Affairs at Northwestern? 24

What’s your favorite part about working in Student Affairs?
People, people, people. I also like working with people! I love my colleagues in Student Affairs. I love my colleagues across the University. We are collectively a lovely bunch.

What recommendation(s) do you have for someone new to Student Affairs?
Get involved. Volunteer for committees, both within Student Affairs, and at the University level. Ask colleagues that you don’t know if they would like to meet for coffee. Ask me, I love coffee! Make connections. Make friends. We spend way too much of our lives at work not to have vibrant relationships with wonderful people around us.

Who or what has had the greatest influence on your career?
Sheridan Road. Seriously. I love walking down Sheridan Road and seeing friends, colleagues, and students. The buildings have changed over the years, even the road has changed over the years, but it still an exciting road to travel.

What inspires you?
People who find joy in what they do. I follow Floret Farms/Erin Benzakein on Instagram. She has built an empire around her love of flowers. And I love seeing how she learns new things, with help from those that have the expertise. We all need to allow ourselves to not know something, so that the we can be excited to learn new things! And the flowers, oh the flowers…

What can’t you live without?
My loved ones, and a nice cup of coffee. Also, Desk Set, an awesome Katharine Hepburn and Spencer Tracy movie. And I’m one of seven people on the planet that likes black licorice, but a little goes a long way.

How do you like to spend your free time?
Well, my 18 year old son wants to build a fire pit this summer with a really large grill grate for outdoor cooking. Wish me luck. I’m also planting a lot more roses. And maybe some hydrangeas. I have a spot for some clematis. Well, now that I’m thinking about it, I might add…

What’s your favorite spot on campus?
Any place that I can run in to you, and someday give you a hug again.