Staff Spotlight: Sharitza Rivera

Name: Sharitza RiveraSharitza Rivera

Title: Assistant Director

Department:  Student Enrichment Services

What brought you to Student Affairs?
I was working as a therapist in K-12 schools in Chicago. I felt frustrated that the work I was doing was helping a student survive, but not creating a larger impact on their life. I reflected on my own livid experiences, and realize the doors that were open for me and my family through my education. It was then that I decided to try my hand at Student Affairs.

How many years have you worked in Student Affairs at  Northwestern? 3.75
What’s your favorite part about working in Student Affairs?
I believe I work with the brightest people. I am constantly learning from my colleagues – about social justice, leadership, management, etc. I also love seeing my students from their first year to graduation – seeing their growth along the way.
What recommendation(s) do you have for someone new to Student Affairs?
More and more – student affairs requires basic skills in mental health and crisis management. Take advantage of all of those opportunities. Also, reflect on what student populations are you less familiar with and prioritize quality trainings and readings for yourself. Figure out what your boundaries are with students early – and check-in with yourself often.
Who or what has had the greatest influence on your career?
My mistakes have had the greatest influence on my career. They were hard to go through but ultimately made me better.
What inspires you?
Systems changing. When I see change on a systemic and policy level, it makes me feel that this work matters.
What can’t you live without?
If I am honest – my family, my partner, my faith, a good planner, and a good cup of coffee
How do you like to spend your free time?
I love thrifting, traveling to new places, a good long walk, and connecting with others for storytelling and deep conversation.
What’s your favorite spot on campus? Foster Walker, House 6 – the SES Wing – it is truly my 2nd home.