Staff Spotlight: Joe Lattal

Name: Joe Lattal

Title: Assistant Director

Department: Student Organizations & Activities

Where are you from?  Madison, Wisconsin

What brought you to Student Affairs?
Student Affairs is my third career. After finding another field unfulfilling, I decided to step away and reflect on where I thought I would be happiest professionally. Thoughts continuously returned to my time as a college student where most memories stemmed from the hours involved in campus media and student organizations. As a senior, I developed a relationship with the advisor of our student-run radio station and began researching the qualifications to apply for that role. The prospect of a Master’s degree related to higher education or student affairs was completely new to me, but I am tremendously fortunate that I was able to complete my coursework and intern on the same campus that I now consider home.

How many years have you worked in Student Affairs at Northwestern?  5

What’s your favorite part about working in Student Affairs?
The amount of ambition, creativity, and intelligence that surrounds me is inspiring. I am grateful that Northwestern is an environment where students truly want to make the most of their time here. I have enjoyed supporting students in their pursuits, assisting them with navigating campus policies and seeking resources, and advising them through interpersonal challenges. Whether it’s at a higher level, such as planning the fall organization fair, or more direct, such as long conversations with students about personal challenges at Northwestern, the work is so rewarding.

What recommendation(s) do you have for someone new to Student Affairs?
Take the time to get to know colleagues outside of your area. Often our office has ideas for initiatives or events, and we rely heavily on connecting with folks from other areas to have a bigger impact with our work. Take the time to get to know students as well. They’re amazing!

What can’t you live without?
My bike! I started commuting via bike when I lived in Bucktown, Chicago in 2015 and it’s a fixture for my daily routine. It’s a little more convenient since I moved closer to campus, but it’s a great way to start the day and allows me to notice more of my surroundings, take time away from distractions, and stay in shape.

How do you like to spend your free time?
I like exploring the blocks of my home neighborhood, Uptown/Chicago with the family, heading to Montrose Beach in the summertime, keeping in touch with friends near and far, and cooking.

What’s your favorite spot on campus?  The Lakefill (on warm, sunny days, in particular)

Each week a different staff member in the division of Student Affairs will be featured. Staff can opt in to be featured, by filling out the Staff Spotlight Submission form. Student Affairs Marketing staff reach out to staff from across the division asking for participation. The spotlights will be featured in the Student Affairs Snapshot e-newsletter.