Staff Spotlight: Jessica Toro-Pacheco

Title: Assistant Director

Department: Student Affairs Marketing

Where are you from? Chicago, IL

What brought you to Student Affairs? I was working at Social Security Administration headquarters in Baltimore, Maryland and I decided that I needed more creativity to feel like me. I was also very homesick and missed my many jobs working with students at UIC. When I applied I thought, “designing and college, my two favorite things, sign me up!”

How many years have you worked in Student Affairs at Northwestern? 7

What’s your favorite part about working in Student Affairs? I love working in a place where learning and growing is not only valued but encouraged. There is a sense of community amongst my peers and most importantly I love being able to see students mature and change through the years. My greatest joy has been watching students walk in as shy first-years and grow into strong independent people with a passion for what they have learned in our office. It’s not often you get to see how you influence a person but in Student Affairs you get to see it up close and personal. I have watch students changed entire career paths because they worked in our office. To see a student come in as a journalism major and leave with an amazing job as a designer makes my heart full. In my time here 12 of my design students have changed paths and pursewed design/creative jobs after graduating!

What recommendation(s) do you have for someone new to Student Affairs?
Take time to take care of yourself. Sometimes our job isn’t just getting the job done, it’s convincing a student that they will make it until tomorrow or telling them it’s okay to not be okay. Oh and laugh with the students, enjoy their excitement over all the firsts they are experiencing right now, and laugh at yourself too because they are definitely laughing you behind your back (mostly about how old you are) 🙂

Who or what has had the greatest influence on your career?
My AP Studio Art teacher in high school, Ms. McMeans. She was a free bird but had structure in her classroom and expected the best from us. I remember her telling me one day, “Jess, I think you’re going to be a lot like me when you grow up. You’ll bounce between art and design jobs but in the end, you’ll end up teaching it”. It’s funny, I haven’t become a teacher yet (I’m still young you never know I mean look at jlo) but my SAM students really seem to fulfill that prophecy.

What inspires you?  My son, Antonio, is my new muse.

What can’t you live without? Face cream.

How do you like to spend your free time?  Thinking of elaborate ways on how I can be more “extra” every day.

What’s your favorite spot on campus? The Lakefill, it reminds me of the summer I got engaged, when I would take lunch breaks outside to dream about my future.

Each week a different staff member in the division of Student Affairs will be featured. Staff can opt in to be featured, by filling out the Staff Spotlight Submission form. Student Affairs Marketing staff reach out to staff from across the division asking for participation. The spotlights will be featured in the Student Affairs Snapshot e-newsletter.