Staff Spotlight: Jill Norton

jill nortonName: Jill Norton

Title: Visual Communications Manager & Photographer

Department: Student Affairs Marketing

Where are you from? Cincinnati, Ohio

What brought you to Student Affairs?

I have been a professional photographer since 2001 and in 2008 Anne VanOsdol was one of my favorite clients and she asked me to do some photography and design for Northwestern and one thing led to another and I started working for SAIT until the Marketing department came to be in 2012 and …here I am. I still have my own photography studio that I have had for 15 years and am so proud to have a successful business for nearly 20 years in the Evanston community.

How many years have you worked in Student Affairs at Northwestern? 10

What’s your favorite part about working in Student Affairs?

The people. I am so lucky to work with everyone in the division and everyone is so appreciative and fun to work with. But the other favorite part is the students I get to work with in SAM. Especially when they come in as Freshman and I get to see them gain skills and confidence and become part of the SAM family and then watch them take those skills out into the real world and do amazing things when they graduate. I am so proud of them and yes, there are definitely tears involved when they leave us.

What recommendation(s) do you have for someone new to Student Affairs?

Try to get involved in as many activities for staff as you can. It can become easy to stay in each of our little worlds, but it is so rewarding to know what is happening in other departments and all of the great things the division is doing. And the people are great.

Also, get out and enjoy Evanston. I have lived here for several years and it has become such a great town for food, coffee, after hours fun, and more. Hit the theater, enjoy the lakefront, take walks around campus.

Who or what has had the greatest influence on your career?

My mistakes.

As a mostly self taught photographer, every time I screwed something up, I either learned from it how to be better, or realized it was actually something beautiful I stumbled upon and I should ‘lean into it’. I have learned over the nearly 20 years that whenever I have felt that I was not good enough, I would just look at what I brought to the table that was different from the others. Where other photographers had assistants and lighting equipment and several cameras and lenses, I saw my style as low maintenance, low overhead and bringing to the client a more natural product.

At Northwestern, it has been the people who surround me. I learn from my colleagues as well as the students everyday. I bring my photography and management skills to the table, but I have learned so much by just saying yes and figuring it out as I go.

What inspires you?

Beauty around me. I’ve come to terms with the fact that I cannot capture every beautiful moment on camera, so I make sure to really let it soak in when I am witness to something that just makes me smile. Being grateful for everything in my life helps me see the beauty in the little things; a stack of books in my living room, my cat, Frida, waiting for me on the front porch when I come home; catching a full moon coming up over the lake…

What can’t you live without?

• Books. I love to read, I love the feel of a book, the smell of the pages. I still keep my hand written date book in addition to my Outlook and Google calendars, because I just love to write. I can’t give it up despite technology.
  • Talking and laughing with my husband, Jay, every night
  • Cuddling with my cat.
  • My camera
  • Gratitude

How do you like to spend your free time?

Eating great food, watching movies, reading, being outdoors, playing tennis, sleeping in, traveling, relaxing with friends, seeing live music, and hanging on the couch with Jay and Frida.

What’s your favorite spot on campus?

I love the beautiful little garden on the south side of Deering Library. It is so hidden and quiet and just peaceful.

Each week a different staff member in the division of Student Affairs will be featured. Staff can opt in to be featured, by filling out the Staff Spotlight Submission form. Student Affairs Marketing staff reach out to staff from across the division asking for participation. The spotlights will be featured in the Student Affairs Snapshot e-newsletter.