Staff Spotlight: Val Buchanan

Name: Val Buchanan

Title: Assistant Director

Department: Leadership Development and Community Engagement

Where are you from? I still consider Lynn, MA my “home” (outside of Chi Town of course!) but have spent significant and shaping time in Michigan, Texas, Missouri, and California.

How many years have you worked in Student Affairs at Northwestern? 3

What’s your favorite part about working in Student Affairs? My favorite thing about working in Student Affairs is building relationships with students and helping to design transformational experiences for them that are also mutually beneficial to our community partners.

Who or what has had the greatest influence on your career? For over a decade I worked under the direction of Barry Loy, Vice-President of Student Life at a small school just outside of Boston, Massachusetts. Barry’s sense of humor, humility, authenticity, and intentional relationship investment in my life shaped the leader I am today and the person I strive to be in the world!

What inspires you? I am inspired by those who give of themselves to pursue justice and equity in the world.

What can’t you live without? I am grounded by being in community and being rooted in place!

How do you like to spend your free time? I love spending time at the lake, reading, watching sports, and being with friends! Also road trips are great!

What’s your favorite spot on campus? In my office hanging out with students!

Each week a different staff member in the division of Student Affairs will be featured. Staff can opt in to be featured, by filling out the Staff Spotlight Submission form. Student Affairs Marketing staff reach out to staff from across the division asking for participation. The spotlights will be featured in the Student Affairs Snapshot e-newsletter.