Staff Spotlight: Dornette Ashley

Name: Dornette Ashley

Title: Event Planning Manager

Department: Norris Event Planning

Where are you from? I am from Evanston, IL.

What brought you to Student Affairs? I was employed by a retail paint company in Evanston, doing their accounts payable and receivable’s for 13 stores. I’d been with them for some time and wanted a change. I also wanted to return to school to complete my undergraduate degree. I applied for a position with then, Norris Building Services and Marketing Department as their Department Assistant. I had no idea what Student Affairs was until I came to Northwestern University.

How many years have you worked in Student Affairs at Northwestern? 19

What’s your favorite part about working in Student Affairs? I have the pleasure of supervising seven students. They keep me young, hip and on my toes. I enjoy watching them grow. I get to guide them to navigate this thing called life while helping them with life/transferable skills. I also get to work alongside a diverse group of people. Everyday is different and doesn’t often go as planned but somehow always comes together.

What recommendation(s) do you have for someone new to Student Affairs? Get out and enjoy this beautiful campus! Join a committee, invite folks to lunch and sit with people you do not work with at any of the division wide events. I’d also suggest joining an affinity group.

Who or what has had the greatest influence on your career? I have been fortunate to have great leadership and colleagues here in Norris. We are a close knit group that works very well together.

What inspires you? My children. We have 3, two daughters and 1 son. Everything I do, it is for them. I sometimes bring them to work-to work. They’ve worked Norris at Night, Exam Relief Breakfast and Dillo Day. They’ve also attended Take Our Sons and Daughters to Work Day. I like it when they wear their NU gear to their school and say “my mom works there”.

What can’t you live without? Starbucks! How convenient there is one in Norris. The Baristas are the best..they know my drink and often write cute messages on my cup.

How do you like to spend your free time? Free time?.. when I am not traveling with my kids club sports teams, I like to watch football Go Bears!! Go Cats! Spending time with family and friends is a bonus.

What’s your favorite spot on campus? When it isn’t bird season, I like to take walks around campus during lunchtime.

Each week a different staff member in the division of Student Affairs will be featured. Staff can opt in to be featured, by filling out the Staff Spotlight Submission form. Student Affairs Marketing staff reach out to staff from across the division asking for participation. The spotlights will be featured in the Student Affairs Snapshot e-newsletter.