Staff Spotlight: Amy Metelsky

Name: Amy Metelsky

Title: Business Analyst

Department: Student Affairs IT

Where are you from? Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

What brought you to Student Affairs? When planning a move to Chicago in 2015, I was interested in pivoting away from the mobile commerce company where I had spent the past 3 years into something that could have a more positive impact. My position with Student Affairs afforded me the opportunity to leverage my technology background to work on projects that hopefully improve the student and staff experience here at Northwestern.

How many years have you worked in Student Affairs at Northwestern? 4

What’s your favorite part about working in Student Affairs? Working with a team that I love and admire to solve challenging problems through technology.

What recommendation(s) do you have for someone new to Student Affairs? Spend time building relationships. My role gives me the opportunity to meet and work closely with people outside of my department in the division. The experience I’ve had cultivating these relationships has been the most rewarding part of my time here and allows me to propose better technology solutions. It has also allowed me to feel a greater sense of community within Student Affairs and across the university.

Who or what has had the greatest influence on your career? Early in my career, I was lucky enough to have an amazing supervisor and mentor at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center. Colleen Grimm taught me how to approach my work with enthusiasm and gave me a love for databases.

What inspires you? Challenging problems and music

What can’t you live without? Black coffee

How do you like to spend your free time? I like to spend my free time exploring Chicago with my girlfriend and our dog, watching reality TV, reading, and experiencing the arts through theater and live music in the city.

What’s your favorite spot on campus? Deering Library gardens

Each week a different staff member in the division of Student Affairs will be featured. Staff can opt in to be featured, by filling out the Staff Spotlight Submission form. Student Affairs Marketing staff reach out to staff from across the division asking for participation. The spotlights will be featured in the Student Affairs Snapshot e-newsletter.