Staff Spotlight: Aggie McGrane

Name: Aggie McGrane

Department: AccessibleNU-Chicago

Title: Associate Director

Where are you from? Forest Park, Illinois

What brought you to Student Affairs? I loved college and being on my own, away from home for the first time. When my career as a TV news reporter didn’t pan out after I graduated, I accepted a job as a residence hall director so I could figure out what I wanted to do. After a couple of housing positions, I found myself in disability services.

How many years have you worked in Student Affairs at Northwestern? 2.5

What recommendation(s) do you have for someone new to Student Affairs? It’s really easy to become immersed in university life and working with students. Remember to cultivate your hobbies and spend time away from work to recharge.

Who or what has had the greatest influence on your career? My mom – she is a reading specialist who completed her doctorate about 10 years ago. I have always admired her drive and ambition.

How do you like to spend your free time? I love spending time with my family and taking the kids to fun places like the Brookfield Zoo or on road trips.

What’s your favorite spot on campus? Anywhere with a view of the lake or the downtown Chicago skyline

Each week a different staff member in the division of Student Affairs will be featured. Staff can opt in to be featured, by filling out the Staff Spotlight Submission form. Student Affairs Marketing staff reach out to staff from across the division asking for participation. The spotlights will be featured in the Student Affairs Snapshot e-newsletter.