Staff Spotlight: Federica Firetto

Name: Federica Firetto

Department: Student Organization Finance Office

Title: Accounting Assistant

Where are you from? Italy

What brought you to Student Affairs? Last October, I came to the US from Italy because my husband started his PhD program in Economics at Northwestern. Since the first day, I started looking for a job that could be fit to my experience, my professional expectations and personal growth. I was looking for a job where I would be challenged to develop my skills and I could make a difference in people’s lives. After a couple of months of job searching, I heard about an open position at the Student Organization Finance Office, I decided to apply and here I am!

How many years have you worked in Student Affairs at Northwestern? 0

What’s your favorite part about working in Student Affairs? I enjoy working with and for students. Their energy and enthusiasm is very motivating.

What recommendation(s) do you have for someone new to Student Affairs? I would truly recommend getting involved with the amazing Student Affairs’ community and to take advantage of all the opportunities, activities and courses that we have access to.

Who or what has had the greatest influence on your career? I would say my husband has most impacted my career in terms of a mentor. He is an amazing guide to me. He always encouraged me to face my fears and pursue my goals.

What inspires you? I am inspired by having every day something new to learn or to improve on what I already know. I really think that here I am presented with new learning opportunities every day, especially considering that I come from a different country and everything here is different.

What can’t you live without? I may seem like a technology addicted person, but I cannot live without my phone. I live far from all of my family and friends and I like to be in touch with them and know that everything is going well.

How do you like to spend your free time? I like to travel and to meet people from different countries. I am very interested in listening to their stories and in learning their traditions.

What’s your favorite spot on campus? Northwestern University Lakefill is my favorite place on campus. I love going there for a walk on sunny days after work or on weekends.

Each week a different staff member in the division of Student Affairs will be featured. Staff can opt in to be featured, by filling out the Staff Spotlight Submission form. Student Affairs Marketing staff reach out to staff from across the division asking for participation. The spotlights will be featured in the Student Affairs Snapshot e-newsletter.