Staff Spotlight: Molly Basdeo Mountjoy

Assistant DirectorName: Molly Basdeo Mountjoy

Department: New Student and Family Programs

Title: Assistant Director

Where are you from? Lexington, North Carolina

How many years have you worked in Student Affairs at Northwestern? 2

What brought you to Student Affairs?  As an undergraduate student I majored in Middle School Education because I knew I wanted to be an educator. As my time at NC State progressed and I became more involved on campus and worked with staff members who helped to develop my potential, I became more and more interested in working with college students.

As a first-generation college student, I found the staff members I worked with invaluable to my experience. I went from feeling completely isolated and as if I didn’t belong as a first-year student, to feeling like my undergraduate institution was a second home where I was surrounded by people who wanted to help me succeed. I hope as an educator in student affairs to develop that same feeling of belonging for students and to develop the potential they have.

What’s your favorite part about working in Student Affairs?  I really love being able to collaborate with others because there is such a vast amount of knowledge from other staff members on campus. I’ve learned a lot from friends in CARE, SJE, the Office of Equity, and others that help me to understand student experiences from different lenses and learn more about the field of higher education.

What can’t you live without?  I mentioned my undergraduate degree was in education, but my concentration was in language arts and social studies, so I don’t think I could live without books (young adult fiction, southern literature, and memoirs are my favorites). Also the following in no particular order: Disney, baking, tea, probably my husband, sushi, and pizza.

Each week a different staff member in the division of Student Affairs will be featured. Staff can opt in to be featured, by filling out the Staff Spotlight Submission form. Student Affairs Marketing staff reach out to staff from across the division asking for participation. The spotlights will be featured in the Student Affairs Snapshot e-newsletter.