Staff Spotlight: Saed Hill

Name: Saed Hill

Title: Assistant Director of Prevention & Men’s Engagement

Department: Center for Awareness, Response & Education (CARE)

Where are you from? Queens, NY

How many years have you worked in Student Affairs at Northwestern? 1 year

What brought you to Student Affairs? 

College was very transformative for me. Because of my cultural upbringing, I often felt pressure to choose a major and career that my family would approve of. I felt a lot of pressure as an undergraduate to go into medicine despite my desire to choose something different. After making the tough decision to go against my family’s wishes, I found how much happier, less anxious, and more confident I was. I decided at that point I wanted to work with college students going through their own personal transitions and anxieties about who they are and the adults they want to be. Student Affairs is the place where I can provide our students with the kind of comfort and support that I wish I had while discovering how my own personal identities were impacting what I wanted my college experience to be.

What’s your favorite part about working in Student Affairs?

All of the people I get to meet and the ability to learn about myself on a daily basis through interactions with those same people. Whether it be co-workers, colleagues, acquaintances, or students, I feel like the interpersonal relationships I create in Student Affairs brings me joy, energy, and enthusiasm for the work I do. Getting the opportunity to encounter people from so many different backgrounds and learn about how their experiences shape their approach to not only work, but also life in general, is one of the biggest reasons I gravitate to Student Affairs.

How do you like to spend your free time?

Watching reruns of The Office, trivia nights, cooking, playing basketball, reading the New York Times, and spending quality time with my friends and family.

Each week a different staff member in the division of Student Affairs will be featured. Staff can opt in to be featured, by filling out the Staff Spotlight Submission form. Student Affairs Marketing staff reach out to staff from across the division asking for participation. The spotlights will be featured in the Student Affairs Snapshot e-newsletter.