Staff Spotlight: Alejandro Dominguez

Name: Alejandro Dominguez

Title: Desk Services Manager

Department: Residential Services

Where are you from? St. Louis, Missouri

Who or what has had the greatest influence on your career? Honestly, my own college experience has been the greatest influence on my career. I attended a predominantly white institution, and there were not many people who looked like me on campus – students, staff, and faculty alike. I knew that I could change that narrative for students on campuses like mine by going into the Student Affairs field. I wanted future generations of students of color to know that success is possible for us and that our influence in higher education can change the landscape of higher education for the better.

What inspires you? Being an agent of change is inspiring to me. I have many times been in spaces as the only Latinx individual, so I ask questions that many others around the table don’t even consider. I strive to be the counter-culture that pushes us to be and to do better for all those we serve.

How do you like to spend your free time? I enjoy a variety of things in my free time, but I especially like going out to the movies. I also really enjoy playing board games and having a fun evening at home with friends. A slice of cheesecake and Golden Girls episodes on Hulu always jump to the top of the list.

Each week a different staff member in the division of Student Affairs will be featured. Staff can opt in to be featured, by filling out the Staff Spotlight Submission form. Student Affairs Marketing staff reach out to staff from across the division asking for participation. The spotlights will be featured in the Student Affairs Snapshot e-newsletter.