All conference activities will take place on campus in the Ford Engineering Design Center, 2133 Sheridan Road, Evanston, IL, 60208
Tuesday, July 11
“What’s Happening Now: Integrating Theory And Practice In Educational Shops”
Tuesday will open the conference with discussions on existing shop practices and the challenges shop managers have to deal with on a daily basis.
- Presentations on existing shop systems and culture for the integration of educational theory and practice among various SSMC member programs.
- Panel discussion on common issues of integrating theory and practice in educational shops, along with a review of existing systems for management.
- Small group discussions of participants based on your particular shop mission.
Wednesday, July 12
“What Are Our Common Challenges In Training and Safety in Educational Shops”
Wednesday will begin with the theme of safety and the challenges shop and maker space managers and administrators have to deal with on a daily basis.
- Presentations on existing maker training and safety integration systems.
- Panel discussion on common issues of training, safety and compliance in maker spaces, along with a review of existing systems for management.
- Focused small group discussions centered on the shared shop/maker space topics of safety, training, trainers, compliance and theory and practice integration
Thursday, July 13
“Moving Forward In The Future With Common Standards and Compliance in All Types Of Maker Spaces”
Thursday will begin with the theme of establishing common SSMC standards for safety and training with the focus on developing a common compliance management program.
- Presentations on existing standards and certifications systems in practice.
- Panel discussion on common issues of how shops, safety, EHS and risk management can work together in creating a proficient and safe practice environment in all types of maker spaces.
- Group discussions for SSMC sub-committee formation as well as the committee establishment and planning of planning of the 2018 SSMC conference.