Keep the shadow, Ere the Substance Fade: On the Keeping and Making of Relics

What to remember a loved one with?

Something he used.

His hat.

A black leather hat, wears make it old but do not bring it down. Two metal chains run from the left side to the right. At the top of the front is a small golden statue, with three animals standing on a globe: A lion, a dinosaur whose head and tail both look like arrows, and an eagle with thick legs and webs between toes.

His lighter.

A shiny metal Bentley lighter, short and wide unlike most lighters, engraved in black: “Randy Sauder.”

Something of her.

Her hair.

A lock of hair, braided, tied at the top with a pink ribbon bow so that it makes a loop.

A lock of hair, twisted like a Chinese knot, preserved under the glass of a brooch or a necklace.

A wreath made of hair, like a pair of antlers, at the tip of each branch the hair twists into a flower, stringing a bead; the untwisted hair makes leaves.

Photos.

In a loose dress with puff sleeves and lace collar, she sits on a chair with carved back, and supports her right arm on the edge of a table. Her hair is divided in the middle, each side making a braid tied to the back. She looks serious, like other women photographed then usually are.

He stands in front of blinds, tanned, sturdy, and hairy, with beard and moustache on the face. Naked except for the leather hat, he holds a cigarette between his index finger and middle finger, looking straight at the camera.

Something he made.

His drawing.

He drew on the envelop: A redhead lady in a green dotted dress and on blue heels, another with hair tied up on top of her head and wearing big earrings. “Post office box 70025,” He wrote, all in bold, in bright colors, and in a pop font, “Houston Texas.”

His letter.

He typed over the edge of the paper because of excitement. He talked about Sawdust Festival, this art event he had been participating for sixteen summers, about his own art being “commercial,” supporting his living and allowing him to do serious work on the side. And he talked about turning 65: “I’m like you, I’m finding out I’m not immortal.”

Relics as Remembrance

All these seven objects in the exhibition are “relics” of people passed away. In them, remembrance takes shape in the material, or as David Wojnarowicz would put it,

“I have loved the way memorials take the absence of a human being and make them somehow physical.”

Looking at the hat, Gary would remember how Randy used to wear it when it got cold outside, or even just at home when he wanted to look good and pose for a photo. Reading Bob’s letter, David would remember Bob’s gingerly enthusiasm: He typed some letters outside the page, yet he carefully asked if David would like it before he drew on the envelop.

It is almost always so: We rest our memories in physical objects. I have been keeping diaries since grade one, seeing it as a form of “primary source.” In my collection, there is the beer cap from the first bar I went to, a leaf my friend mailed to me from Evanston to Annapolis, and a drop of blood of my favorite teacher on a glass mounting from my freshman lab.

Keeping Relics as a Maybe Futile Battle Against Forgetting

While we remember with these emotionally-charged objects, there is one fact impossible for us to overlook: They are by no means a reproduction of the original memory.

Happenings are impossible to keep. Even if you record every moment of your birth, your first step, and your wedding, you do not keep the happenings, but instead a replicate of the sounds and images. Moreover, while happenings are continuous, relics, however detailed, are always sporadic. Happenings, then, leave relics like a drop of water leaves a pit on mud, which in turn becomes a rock, or like a perishable piece of garment leaves a button of shell.

As a result, rather than picking up a memory, what you actually do when you look at the relics is making a new narrative. There might be a time when Gary looks at the lighter, he gets fuzzy which hand Randy used to hold the lighter with, and which hand he would use to reach for a cigarette, and when reading the heartbreaking line “hair of Sister Emilia, drowned when only three years old, in the heat of 1877,” the girls cannot remember the color of her eye. In other words, with or without relics, we human beings necessarily forget.

Then the point of the existence of relics cannot be that they replicate a happening. Instead, it is that they allow the act of “keeping.” If Gary did not keep the hat, or David did not keep the letter, or the family members did not keep the locks of hair, these objects would go to thrift shops or recycle bins, and become anonymous, become “nothing.” However, these people kept them, wrote notes about them, and looked at them. Knowing that these things neither bring back the person, nor replicate the memory, they still keep them. The keeping, then, more than an attempt to retain the happenings, is an announcement of an attitude, or a declaration of war on forgetting, a most natural human tendency:

“I am actively building connections with the object. By keeping it out of millions of things I let go, I announce it to be significant. Thus, I am making an effort to not forget, because I want to remember.”

Making Relics as a Maybe Futile Battle Against Mortality

On the other side of the relics from their keepers are their makers. Sometimes, the makers of the relics are unconscious, such as the owner of the hat or the hair. However, at other times, they make things with the hope and belief that they will be kept, especially in art and literature.

Such making has a two-fold meaning.

On the one hand, it is the struggle to prove our existence. We rely on material objects, because only through them we can performs “actions,” and bring potentialities into actualities: Only in writing, in making, we create, alter, and leave behind things as evidence of our existence. We write out our worries and sorrows so that they are not only in our minds, but also come to be in the world, as Bob would complain that fewer people came to Sawdust, and David would grumble that his friends did not appreciate his drawings.

On the other hand, it is the attempt to exist beyond our existence.

As Bob has made clear,

“I am not immortal.”

We all well know that we die eventually, and our bodies perish. As the souls that used to be in the bodies part with them, we as the combination of the two cease to “be.” While we know we cannot last forever, we strive to exist beyond our existence through objects that last longer than us. Those worries and sorrows that Bob and David shared, for example, exist as long as the pieces of paper exist regardless of the condition of their makers.

That is, we make relics to declare a war against mortality:

“I know I would die one day, but I leave these things, which prove that I existed.”

“Keep the shadow ere the substance fade,” in fact, was an advertisement for daguerreotype when it first became commercialized.

A large portion of its customers were the families that lost a child, which was far from rare then, who sought to take a picture of the child passed away, posing him or her as alive.

In sadness, however, there arises this almost quixotic strength of mankind: Knowing that we forget, and knowing that we die, we strive to remember, and we strive to be.

821 Comments

• Julia Poppy commented on October 17, 2016 Reply

This was really beautiful. I appreciated how you wove the exhibit into your work seamlessly—this was not explicitly about the exhibit, but the exhibit was ever-present in your meditation on relics. I think you did an excellent job of talking about the exhibit in a way that is engaging and interesting. In fact, it made me want to go back to the exhibit with your thoughts in mind.

• Daniel commented on February 4, 2023 Reply

Yes. I have the same in my mind. Is this similar mythdhr login?

• Bussiness Sale commented on March 7, 2024 Reply

Woven the exhibit seamlessly into your writing: The exhibit wasn’t the sole focus, but it still played a significant role in your meditation on the concept of relics. This creates a layered and engaging experience for the reader.
      Expressed your thoughts in an engaging and interesting way: Your writing style is captivating and encourages the reader to see the exhibit through a new lens.
      Ignited a desire to revisit the exhibit: Your thoughtful analysis makes the reader want to re-engage with the exhibit, considering it with your insights in mind. This is a true testament to the power of your writing.
      Overall, your piece is thought-provoking, insightful, and beautifully written. Thank you for sharing your unique perspective

khalidelarbi
      ————————————
      Online Marketing Analysis

business for sale

• janecastro commented on October 18, 2016 Reply

You have such a beautifully unique voice with each of your critiques, but this one was especially salient. Your descriptions of the objects have an intimacy, a closeness to them that is still balanced and fair- critically distant. Your words help me travel back through the exhibit and you effectively translate the integrity of every object. I loved your connection between relics and primary sources- although it may seem obvious it was refreshing to think of the contemporary relic (such as a journal) and what collecting/keeping it means.

Great job!

• Jae Kim commented on October 21, 2016 Reply

Hello!

I thought your piece was beautiful in its style and content. As I was reading through how you connected yourself to the exhibition, it also made me think about “relics” that I keep with me. This piece felt very personal to you; but at the same time, it was inviting and therefore I could really relate to your writing.

Also, when I read your critiques (including the other ones), I get the sense that your structure and make use of font sizes really contribute to delivering your emotion and energy regarding the work; as a result, it feels honest and genuine.

Thank you sharing this!

• Michael Kramer commented on October 24, 2016 Reply

Anna,
    This is a fascinating and moving essay. I really like the way you are playing with the typography and rhythm/length of your sentences to establish a certain tone. What I wonder about is if you could root this meditation a bit more clearly in the exhibition and its focus on the AIDS crisis in particular. Were there specific dimensions of the “relic” and memory that mattered here in a particular way? In relation to the curator’s curiosity about Victorian era? Hone in a bit to help us locate your explorations in relation to the material and its particularities a bit more.

• msarat commented on February 9, 2022 Reply

Great info, thanks for sharing.

شركة تنظيف مكيفات بالرياض

• Betmate commented on May 16, 2022 Reply

에볼플레이 먹튀검증 안전노리터

• pg slot สูตรลับ commented on July 6, 2022 Reply

pg slot สูตรลับ เทคนิคหรือสูตรลับแนวทางการเล่นสล็อต มีความง่ายๆ ไม่สลับซับซ้อน จาก pg slot สูตรลับ มีวิธีการเล่นที่มีระบบระเบียบแบบแผน พีจีสล็อต การเล่นเกมสล็อตให้สนุก นั้นต้องเล่นด้วยเงินจริง

• 에볼루션 알가격 commented on August 30, 2022 Reply

you all technicalss AUGUST1983Y solutions and staff we need for 에볼루션알가격

• Connor commented on September 15, 2022 Reply

Thank you for sharing valuable content with us
    chair

• harry commented on September 16, 2022 Reply

Thanks this is informative content for us keep sharing with us
    larimar jewelry

• 룰렛사이트 commented on October 21, 2022 Reply

However, my positive opinion of his looks was damaged by the first words out of his mouth. You’re Isabella Swan, aren’t you? 룰렛사이트

• timeline commented on November 29, 2022 Reply

Your article’s content seems to pique the interest of quite a few readers, and I must say that I am quite impressed with your post. I am looking forward to reading more of your excellent articles. nytimes crossword

• time commented on November 29, 2022 Reply

I think making a website like you is an advantage for you, I’m happy to share my feelings with everyone, I am very passionate about the game because it is very interesting. Please take the time to experience with me here: foodle

• jaeseu commented on December 7, 2022 Reply

I found this post very interesting and informative.
    Thank you for sharing your special thoughts with us. I definitely share this with my peeps.
    Visit this and have fun !

제이나인 온라인 카지노 사이트
    제이나인 안전 카지노 사이트
    제이나인 카지노 검증 사이트
    제이나인 카지노 게임 사이트
    제이나인 라이브 카지노
    https://www.j9korea.com

• Mark Larsen commented on December 28, 2022 Reply

Making a website such to yours, in my opinion, is a benefit for you. I’m pleased to share my thoughts with everyone since I find the game to be quite fascinating. Please spend some time experiencing this with me: roblox doors

• ClarkGable commented on December 29, 2022 Reply

A quality sharing article like this that many people think is garbage information. I can’t understand it, even if I wholeheartedly share a healthy stickman fighter game for everyone, I am also considered a bad guy.

• allcode commented on January 3, 2023 Reply

This is really awesome blog!!! I finally found a great post here. Our Services are Web Application Design, Mobile Application Development, CMS Web Development and Custom Website Development. We have a team of developers who focus on providing quality development services at reasonable prices.

• ucmpl commented on January 3, 2023 Reply

Thanks for sharing this post. It is an interesting post for everyone. When I read about this post then got more information. I like it. Our CTC Caps are specially designed to provide plastic packaging solutions in the Food, Healthcare & Consumer Goods Industry. We manufacture CTC Caps in following dimensions 36/29 MM, 42/36 MM, and 29/21 MM.

https://ucmpl.com/caps/

• saarali commented on January 4, 2023 Reply

That wsa so amazing.

Iraqi Dinar Guru

• casinositekim commented on January 8, 2023 Reply

Thank you for taking the time to publish this information very useful! 카지노사이트킴

• casinositezone.com commented on January 9, 2023 Reply

Excellent website you have here, so much cool information!..

카지노사이트
    바카라사이트

• cloudcontactai commented on January 10, 2023 Reply

Thank you for your kind words. I am glad to hear that you found the post interesting and informative. SMS Marketing Services is a form of marketing that involves sending promotional messages or advertisements to customers via text message.

https://www.cloudcontactai.com/

• slotmachinesitecom commented on January 16, 2023 Reply

You there, this is really good post here. Thanks for taking the time to post such valuable information 바다이야기

• betmantotopro commented on January 16, 2023 Reply

Really impressed! Everything is very open and very clear clarification of issues. 스포츠토토

• sportstototvcom commented on January 16, 2023 Reply

Hey, I appreciate your quality stuff and I would like to read more quality stuff like this. keep sharing 토토

• toto365pro commented on January 16, 2023 Reply

토토 I don’t even understand how I stopped up here, but I thought this submit used to be good

• joker gaming commented on January 18, 2023 Reply

I’m curious to find out what blog system you joker gaming happen to be utilizing? I’m having some minor security issues with my latest site and I would like to find something more safeguarded. Do you have any suggestions?

• joker commented on January 18, 2023 Reply

I was recommended this website by joker my cousin. I am not sure whether this post is written by him as nobody else know such detailed about my trouble. You are amazing! Thanks!

I am really enjoying the theme/design เครดิตฟรี 50 of your web site. Do you ever run into any web browser compatibility problems? A number of my blog audience have complained about my website not operating correctly in Explorer but looks great in Firefox. Do you have any recommendations to help fix this problem?

• เครดิตฟรี 50 commented on January 18, 2023 Reply

• casinositeone.JDS commented on February 4, 2023 Reply

I will quote this post and post it on my blog. 카지노사이트원

• casinosite777top.JDS commented on February 4, 2023 Reply

Would you like to visit my blog later? Feel free to visit my website;
    카지노사이트777

• casinositeguidecom.JDS commented on February 4, 2023 Reply

Wonderful items from you, man. I’ve have in mind your stuff previous to and you’re just extremely excellent. 카지노사이트가이드

• safetotositepro.JDS commented on February 4, 2023 Reply

I actually like what you’ve acquired here, really like what you’re saying and the way in which through which you assert it. 안전토토사이트

• baccaratcommunity commented on February 11, 2023 Reply

Looking at this article, I miss the time when I didn’t wear a mask. baccaratcommunity Hopefully this corona will end soon. My blog is a blog that mainly posts pictures of daily life before Corona and landscapes at that time. If you want to remember that time again, please visit us.

• AMD Dental Clinic commented on February 27, 2023 Reply

I bookmarked this site to check out new stuff post. Keep it up, you’re great! This is an awesome motivating article. Keep it up. Thanks
    Best Dentist In Jaipur Near Me

• bangaliacharya commented on February 27, 2023 Reply

This is the one of the most important information for me. And I am feeling glad reading your article. The article is really excellent 
    Black Magic Specialist Bengali baba ji

• companysuggestion commented on February 27, 2023 Reply

One Person Company Registration

• novelwebsolution commented on February 27, 2023 Reply

Thanks for all information you have offered to us.
    Best Website Development Company In Jaipur

• novelwebcreation commented on February 27, 2023 Reply

A must read post! Good way of describing and pleasure piece of writing. Thanks!
    best website development and designing company in Jaipur

• harivanshtours commented on February 27, 2023 Reply

Good ideas, good content, and good topics. Your blog is highly praised. You are a really great person
    Luxury Bus Rental in Jaipur

• maharanacab commented on February 27, 2023 Reply

Wonderful job. I really enjoyed this blog of yours, Too cool to have like this. Hey pretty!! Thanks for posting, You have great blog here. keep it up.

9 Seater Tempo Traveller In Jaipur

• Dainik Astrology commented on February 28, 2023 Reply

I’d would rather use some together with the content in my weblog no matter whether you don’t mind.
    Love Problem Solution

• casinositehotcom commented on March 12, 2023 Reply

Great article, very informative and well written thank you for posting it it really helps increase my knowledge카지노사이트핫

• totositerank.com commented on March 13, 2023 Reply

Appreciate it! An abundance of posts totositerank.com

• sportstotoking.com commented on March 13, 2023 Reply

It is great to visit your website. 토토사이트

• betsarang.com commented on March 13, 2023 Reply

Consistently arrives to work on time..
    스포츠토토

• totorank.net commented on March 13, 2023 Reply

There is certainly a great deal to learn about this subject. 토토사이트