Music, identity, and pride

11-year old me was watching MTV and Adam Lambert’s Whataya Want From Me came on.  I liked the sound; before I knew it, I loved the song.

I’ve been listening to it for the last decade & the track has meant so much to me in the process of figuring myself out. The icon Lambert is, both as a personality & as an openly gay musician has helped me understand myself.

A few months ago, I was browsing through Spotify & discovered another song; this one, titled Fuimos Amor (“We Were Love”), is by Colombian singer Esteman, from his album Amor Libre (“Free Love”). Since I first heard it some six months ago, it’s been a constant on my drive playlist. Like Lambert’s track, I love everything about Fuimos Amor: lyrics, video & aesthetics.

This June, I was in Vienna on summer break & later, in New York City for a university program. In Vienna, our bus passed by buildings celebrating pride.

A building in Vienna with the pride flag (June 2019).

In New York, I witnessed the Pride parade & I danced as the procession did. I saw the Camp exhibit at The Metropolitan Museum of Art. Walking around the city, I noticed graffiti & street art that celebrated pride. I tapped my feet & swayed as performers going home after the parade sang & danced in the subway.

“I Choose Love”: street art in New York City (June 2019).

These experiences have been monumental in navigating my identity. I can say now, that I am bi & not be afraid or disgusted by it.

4 thoughts on “Music, identity, and pride”

1. Excellent blog, I really love the way everything is linked up and built. I am still grasping everything about blogging and i would love for you to give me some tips. Before I forget, the information you provided couldn’t be presented in a better way. I see a lot of bloggers just blogging for the money, but you are different which makes you special. I have bookmarked your website and would be visiting daily.

2. During the search of nordvpn coupon because I am looking to buy it I come over this website and start checking each page of this website and find that content over the art on this website is amazing as a content writer I have never seen such content riched site in my journey glad to have such site.

3. WebFlow is a web-based, drag-and-drop web design tool that allows users to create responsive websites without having to write code. It is one of the most popular web design tools on the market, and for good reason Webflow promo code

4. Hey there, digital wanderers! Who doesn’t love a good deal, right? Especially when it’s all about securing your digital footprints. I’ve got something exciting to share. You know IPVanish, our beloved VPN service provider? Well, they’ve been known to roll out some truly fab IPVanish coupon codes!
    Whether it’s the holiday season or just a random Wednesday, these codes could land you a deal that’s upwards of 50% off (I know, right? Score!). Just don’t forget to pop that code into the right box when you’re checking out to snap up the savings.
    So, keep those eyes wide and keep watch for these sweet deals. Secure surfing at a bargain?