Matilda the Musical: The 80th Annual Dolphin Show

Producer’s Note

Welcome to The 80th Annual Dolphin Show’s production of Roald Dahl’s Matilda the Musical!

Matilda showcases what Dolphin does best: bringing together students of all different backgrounds to practice their talents on the highest level Northwestern Theatre has to offer. It has been a pleasure to cultivate this community of nearly 150 students this year. Some of the students working on this production have never worked on a show before in their lives. Whether coming to the process with years of experience or none at all, everyone has given their all for the past ten months. We cannot wait for you to see the product of this team’s collaboration.

We would like to extend a special welcome to our Dolphin Show alumni. This past year, our Dolphin alumni have led workshops, held coffee chats, served as mentors, donated, and connected our team to the professional community. Their commitment to the organization beyond their time at Northwestern demonstrates the power of the community that Dolphin builds. We look forward to following in their footsteps.

And now we have the pleasure of welcoming you into the Dolphin community and into the world of Matilda. We hope you sit back, relax, and have a miraculous time!

Arella Flur, Daniel Maton, and Rachel Schmaier (Producers of The 80th Annual Dolphin Show)

Director’s Note

Throughout this nearly ten month process, the question I have most often heard is, “But why Matilda? You’re college students, not kids.” I believe that the impetus of that question is not only why we are thrilled to tell the story of Matilda, but also why we, as college students, need this story.

Like Matilda, we are asked to grow up far too quickly. We get caught up in the myth of adulting, and this pressure to grow up often squashes our creativity and imagination. However, Matilda finds an alternative. In the Wormwood Home, Matilda’s parents do not create the connections that enable her to be a kid… to learn, grow, and make mistakes. Yet, Matilda survives by finding power in her imagination. She builds stories and an alternative world for herself, which serves as an escape and safe space of quiet amidst a loud and raucous world that won’t let her take a breath.

Matilda also demonstrates the limits of such imagination. While her imagination is lovely, Matilda’s worlds would be all the more lovely if she had someone to share them with. Often overlooked, Matilda is a story about connection and understanding, seen in how Miss Honey and Matilda provide one another the support to be vulnerable and open, and thus to experience joy. In contrast, I would be remiss not to ask how a lack of connection and understanding may have resulted in the Wormwoods and Trunchbull being so cruel.

The connection present in Matilda allows us to reach the most earnest and vulnerable parts of ourselves as children. We might be college students, but I know I still seek the approval of my parents, I sometimes feel disempowered when advocating for what I need from my education, and I’m still seeking friends and mentors who make me feel heard, seen, valued, and understood. Whatever stage of life you are in, I hope this story encourages you to build connections with supportive people who make fighting the creatures beneath your bed just a little bit easier.

When describing what it was like to write the song, “When I Grow Up,” composer and lyricist Tim Minchin stated, “I tried to write a song that described a child’s perception of adulthood, and an adult’s regret for their lost childhood.” Yet, what this show, these characters, and this massive team of collaborators have taught me is that childhood never has to end. As you experience this show, I challenge you to engage the power of your imagination and remember your childhood as a state of mind you can return to when you need a little extra strength, a little bit of hope, or a space of quiet.

This show and this process have been an absolute gift to be a part of. Watching this cast and production team build community with one another over play and imagination has cultivated a joyous room I hope to be a part of forever and ever.

Lucy Harrington (Director of The 80th Annual Dolphin Show)

Link to program.

Link to photos. Credit Justin Barbin.