Volunteering at Stateville Correctional Center
Stateville Correctional Center is a maximum security prison in Crest Hill, IL. Beginning Fall 2019, we will have 43 NPEP students at Stateville. Volunteers play an integral role in ensuring that all of our students succeed in their courses and are exposed to a variety of topics.
Graduate students, postdoctoral trainees, and undergraduates can volunteer at Stateville Correctional Center in a number of ways.
- Tutoring during quarterly study halls
- Organizing and participating in reading groups
- Leading a workshop, lecture, or short-course (advanced graduate students and postdoctoral trainees)
- Program support and development
To apply to volunteer at Stateville, please fill out an application.
The Spring 2020 application will be available soon — Please check back in ~2 weeks.
Volunteering to teach CCDOC mini-courses
Advanced graduate students and postdoctoral trainees have the opportunity to teach a mini-course at the Cook County Jail.
To be eligible to teach or co-teach your own class at Cook County Jail, you must:
- Be an advanced Northwestern graduate student, i.e. you must be done with your coursework. MA/MFA students, and post-docs, are also eligible.
- Have attended an NPEP training. There will be one offered in the beginning of each quarter (see training dates listed on our website).
- There is no citizenship requirement.
We highly encourage co-teaching a mini-course with 1 or 2 other instructors; however this is not a requirement.
The application deadline to teach a mini-course for the Spring 2020 quarter is: February 14, 2020
To apply to teach a mini-course, please read through our detailed information page and fill out an application.
Volunteer Training Dates
NPEP has required quarterly trainings. The Spring 2020 training dates are listed below. In order to volunteer with NPEP during the Spring quarter of 2020, you must attend a training session. After this deadline, interested volunteers must wait until the Summer quarter to attend a training session and volunteer with NPEP.
- General Training (for all volunteers): Wednesday, April 1st, 4:30-6 PM (Location: TBA)
If you want to volunteer with NPEP in any capacity, you must attend the general training.
- Tutor Specific Training (for Stateville Study Hall volunteers): Friday, April 3rd, 3-5 PM (Location: TBA)
If you want to be a study hall tutor at Stateville, you must additionally attend this tutor specific training. This training session will be hosted in cooperation with the Searle Center for Teaching.
The goal of these sessions is to familiarize you with our rules and policies and to also provide you with the necessary pedagogical tools for working in a prison environment—we want you to be as prepared as possible before you begin tutoring or teaching.
If you have already attended a training session in the past, you do not need to attend another one.
- For the Spring 2020 tutoring at Stateville Correctional Center, we will be looking in particular for tutors with expertise in the following subjects: English, poetry, African-American Studies, Shakespeare, biology, law/sociology. Study Halls will likely take place on Thursdays and Fridays.