Benard McKinley

Cohort: 1

Where are you from?

Chicago.

What is your favorite field of study/topic? 

Political science and civil rights law.

What is something you would like people to know about you as a student?

Every day, I strive to better myself than the day before. I value the opportunity to receive a higher education that will allow me to re-enter society as a useful citizen to my community. 

What does being a part of NPEP mean to you?

Being part of NPEP has given me a second chance in life of accomplishing my dreams of one day becoming a civil rights attorney. This program has been life-changing, and I look forward to a bright future. 

What course has had the biggest impact on you and why?

The course that had the biggest impact on me was Shelia Bedi’s law class: “Violence Reduction and Transformation Change in Justice Systems.” I picked this course because it allowed me to think creatively in ways to make society as a whole better. 

What is your favorite book or article that you have read in your NPEP classes?

My favorite article would have to be “The Watch Maker.” This was a reading in my philosophy class by Jennifer Lackey. This article created a debate in class that allowed me to defend my position that everything in life has its purpose in keeping this world revolving, like every part in a watch has its purpose in keeping it ticking. 

What assignment (paper, project, homework) have you found the most rewarding?

The project I found most rewarding was the United States Supreme Court Rewrite in Shelia Bedi’s class. It allowed me to step into the shoes of a Supreme Court justice and create case law that was fair in an ever-evolving society.