Weekly Staff Spotlight: Alejandro Magaña, MSA Associate Director

Every Friday, we will be highlighting a different MSA staff member, exploring what they are up to this summer.  This week’s feature is Alejandro Magaña, MSA Associate Director.

Photo of Associate Director Alejandro Magaña
  1. What projects are you working on at MSA this summer?
    I have been working on developing and implementing our new CIC recruitment and selection philosophy for professional staff and graduate assistants. In the near future we will be expanding this philosophy to our undergraduate positions. I have also been working on MSA programming for Wildcat Welcome, Latinx and QTEM Heritage month. I have also been co-coaching our Assessment intern in developing an Assessment Strategy for MSA. Finally I have been transitioning into the new role as Associate Director or MSA. This role will include supervising professional staff that oversee student employees, operations, and facilities, developing our policies and procedures and assessment strategy, and serving as the liaison to the Latinx student community.
  2. What can students expect to see new at MSA in the fall?
    A new team member that supports LGBTQIA+ students as well as a few new Graduate Assistants. The Temporary Black House will be open until the renovations of the Black House are complete. New ways of connecting with MSA including a podcast, stay tuned!
  3. What has been taking up your free time over the summer?My son has been in an outdoors Earth Explorers day camp and I have enjoyed listening to his excitement over what he is learning every day and how we wants to continue the program for years to come including becoming a camp counselor when he grows up.
  4.  What are you most looking forward to for the school year to come?
    I am looking forward to fully transitioning into my new role supervising staff and diving into Assessment to develop new policies, procedures and programming for MSA. I am excited to welcome new and returning students to NU as well as a new team member. Finally, our team is excited to introduce new ideas and programming throughout the year.