Things I have tried to wind down in grad school in Evanston

In line with more and more conversations about self-care in grad school, I decided to write down some of my failed and successful attempts in taking care of myself while getting through a phd program (listed in chronological order).

1. Hanging out with animals (My #1 favorite) – Evanston Animal Shelter cares about surrendered or stray dogs and cats deeply. I volunteer there weekly (mostly cleaning, feeding, and walking dogs).
  2. Exercising – my favorite options are running along Lake Michigan IN SUMMER, swimming, biking, and kickboxing. The city offers a variety of classes for different sports with a reasonable fee, and I have been meaning to take tennis classes there. Northwestern Recreation also offers group and private classes.
  3. Painting – Evanston Art Center offers great classes from beginner level to advanced. Highly recommend.
  4. Winter sports – Wisconsin has a few spots for skiing/snowboarding. They are on tiny rolling hills so probably not exciting for pros, but enough for me! I *think* Alpine Valley is the one most close to pro level, which is 1h30min away from Evanston.
  5. Summer sports – kayaking. There is a sailing center on campus, open Monday to Sunday. It is a bit pricey compared with other places, but the waves are fun. I have been planning to go to Skokie Lagoon so I can enjoy different sceneries…
  6. Binge-watching TV shows, obviously
  7. to be continued…