I am a third-year Ph.D. student in Technology and Social Behavior at Northwestern University. I study how people collectively use technology to achieve shared goals, using qualitative and quantitative methods. My work also involves system building to empower collective action, such as boycott and protest. I am in the People, Space, and Algorithms (PSA) Research Group, advised by Dr. Brent Hecht.
Prior to my doctoral study, I gained design experience in multiple industrial domains, including biotech, education, and container shipping (not the Tupperware type of containers, but the ones that go on ships and get hauled inland by trucks). I earned my Master’s degree in Human-Computer Interaction from Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis, where I was advised by Drs. Erin Brady (chair), Lynn Dombrowski and Andrew Miller.
- Hanlin Li *, Nicholas Vincent *, Janice Tsai, Jofish Kaye, and Brent Hecht. 2019. How Do People Change Their Technology Use in Protest?: Understanding “Protest Users”. In Proceedings of the 2019 Computer-Supported Cooperative Work and Social Computing (CSCW’2019 / PACM). (Pre-Print PDF | Questionnaire | Slides)
* indicates equal contributions.
- Hanlin Li, Bodhi Alarcon, Sara Milkes Espinosa, and Brent Hecht. 2018. Out of Site: Empowering a New Approach to Online Boycotts. In Proceedings of the 2018 Computer-Supported Cooperative Work and Social Computing (CSCW’2018 / PACM), 2 (106). (Pre-Print PDF | Slides | Video Demo)
- Hanlin Li, Disha Bora, Sagar Salvi, and Erin Brady. 2018. Slacktivists or Activists?: Identity Work in the Virtual Disability March. In Proceedings of the 2018 CHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI ’18). (Pre-Print PDF | Slides)
- Hanlin Li, Lynn Dombrowski, and Erin Brady. 2018. Working toward Empowering a Community: How Immigrant-Focused Nonprofit Organizations Use Twitter during Political Conflicts. In Proceedings of the 2018 International Conference on Supporting Group Work (GROUP ’18). (Pre-Print PDF)
- Hanlin Li and Erin Brady. 2017. #accessibilityFail: Exploring the Potential of Using Social Media Posts to Identify Accessibility Problems. In Proceedings of the 2017 International iConference.
- Disha Bora, Hanlin Li, Sagar Salvi, Erin Brady. 2017. ActVirtual: Making Public Activism Accessible. In Proceedings of the 19th international ACM SIGACCESS conference on Computers & accessibility.
- Hanlin Li and Erin Brady. 2016. #accessibilityFail: Categorizing Shared Photographs of Physical Accessibility Problems. In Proceedings of the 18th international ACM SIGACCESS conference on Computers & accessibility. (PDF)
- Hanlin Li and Erin Brady. 2016. Using Technology to Plan Accessible Conferences. In Proceedings of The Grace Hopper Celebration of Women in Computing.