Epistemology Brownbag: Anubav Vasudevan

Date: Tuesday, November 13th, 2018

Time: 12:30-2:00 PM

Location: Kresge 3438

Title: On the Judy Benjamin Problem

Abstract: One well-known objection to the principle of maximum entropy is the so-called Judy Benjamin problem, first introduced by van Fraassen (1981). The problem turns on the apparently puzzling fact that, on the basis of information relating an event’s conditional probability, the maximum entropy distribution will almost always assign to the event conditionalized on a probability strictly less than that assigned to it by the uniform distribution. In this talk, I will give a brief introduction to the principle of maximum entropy and present an analysis of the Judy Benjamin problem that can help to make sense of this seemingly odd feature of maximum entropy inference. In addition to helping to further our understanding of the true epistemological grounds of the principle of maximum entropy, my analysis will also shed light on its misunderstood relationship to the Laplacean principle of insufficient reason.

2 thoughts on “Epistemology Brownbag: Anubav Vasudevan

• March 1, 2024 at 2:13 pm
    Permalink

Hey there, crew! Quick heads up about my recent experience with web portal development services. I was on the lookout for a reliable online space, and the team I found really nailed it, especially in custom web portal development . No fuss, just solid work. My site got a serious boost, and I’m pretty happy with it.

Reply
  • March 11, 2024 at 11:20 am
    Permalink

Hello! If you want to get a big bonus to play with, then I suggest you pick up this bonus. bet10 bonus code: https://onlinecasinоprofy.co.uk/10bet-casinо/code/ . I took and used this code myself and now I play in the cаsin0 with great comfort. I recommend you this site with online cаsin0 bonus codes!!

Reply