Epistemology Brownbag: Jay Carlson

Date: Tuesday, October 9th, 2018

Time: 12:30-2:00 PM

Location: Kresge 3438

Title: Epistemology of disagreement, bias, and political deliberation: the problems for a conciliatory view

Abstract:

In this paper, I will discuss the relevance of epistemology of disagreement to political disagreement. The two major positions in the epistemology of disagreement literature are the steadfast and the conciliationist approaches: while the conciliationist says that disagreement with one’s epistemic equals should compel one to epistemically “split the difference” with those peers, the steadfast approach claims that one can maintain one’s antecedent position even in the face of such peer disagreement. Martin Ebeling (Ebeling 2017) applies a conciliationist approach to democratic deliberations, arguing that deliberative participants ought to pursue full epistemic concliation when disagreeing with their peers on political questions. I argue that this epistemic “splitting the difference” could make participants vulnerable to certain cognitive biases. We might avoid these biases by paying more attention to the deliberative environment in which disagreement takes place.

2 thoughts on “Epistemology Brownbag: Jay Carlson

• March 20, 2024 at 10:26 am
    Permalink

I recently utilized this incredible writer service https://writepapers.com/write-my-thesis to write my thesis, and I couldn’t be happier with the results. The quality of work delivered was exceptional, exceeding all my expectations. The writer demonstrated profound knowledge of my subject matter and crafted a thesis that was both insightful and meticulously researched. Not only was the writing top-notch, but the service itself was also highly professional and efficient. Communication was seamless, and deadlines were met with ease. I wholeheartedly recommend this writer service to anyone in need of expert assistance with their academic projects. Trust me, you won’t be disappointed!

Reply
  • March 27, 2024 at 9:53 am
    Permalink

When I started baking cakes to order, I wanted more people in my city to know about me. I was looking for a place to order effective advertising. I accidentally found https://webugol.com/ and liked their approach. They not only make ads, but also give advice on how to improve your ad. Thanks to them, I now have more orders, and I am very happy.

Reply