Rules & Requirements for Custom Domains
- The domain requestor must be either a staff or faculty member at Northwestern University
- The website using a custom domain must represent a Northwestern department or organization
- All custom domains must be sub-domains or nested sub-domains of northwestern.edu
- If the website belongs to a specific school, it should use a sub-domain of said school, such as mydomain.sesp.northwestern.edu
- Labs and student groups should request a sub-subdomain from their sponsoring entity (to create sub.mccormick.northwestern.edu, for example).
- Only one domain name will be allocated for each site.
- The website requesting the custom domain must be set up with public visibility (or hidden from search engines). For help configuring this, please see the help page for Privacy / Visibility.
Requesting a Custom Domain
- Open the Custom Domain Request Form
- Fill out all fields of the form.
- Click the “Submit” button beneath the form.
- You will be presented with a thank you message, letting you know that your request is pending review.
- The NUsites support team will review your request and begin the domain mapping process. This process can typically take up to a week to complete.
- Once your domain is approved and mapped to your NUsite, you will be notified by the NUsites support team.