Monthly Archives: June 2013

The Economy is Falling off Trucks

By Anna Radoff, Public Health in Cuba, Summer 2013 The first photo is of a ratio center where Cubans get food. The second is just a nice view. Only 20% of the Cuban economy is legal while the other 80% is made up of illegal exchanges. Here a family will only have access to small… Read more »

Hola, me llamo Carlos.

By Carlos Martinez, Cuba: Culture & Society, Summer 2013 Saludos! My name is Carlos Manuel Martinez Jr., Correa. I was born in the beautiful state of Pennsylvania but my second home is Ponce, Puerto Rico. I have spent most of my summers there and still have strong ties to the island and its rich culture. … Read more »

The Great Unknown

By Anna Radoff, Public Health in Cuba, Summer 2013 Prepping for the Big Trip Blog Post 1: Pre-departure Hello, my name is Anna and I am a junior here at Northwestern. I study Anthropology and Global Health. I am from Berkeley, California and there are few things I love more than Northwestern Dance Marathon. As… Read more »

Pre-Departure Introduction

By Nicholas Wang, Public Health in Cuba, Summer 2013 I am so excited to be studying abroad on the Public Health in Cuba program in Havana, Cuba this summer, and I want to extend a quick and sincere thank you to the International Program Development Office and the Hill-Urbina Fellowship committee for the generous support… Read more »

T Minus 2 Days

By Ariana Dietrich, Public Health in Cuba, Summer 2013 Let’s be honest – no one ever likes goodbyes. The end of the year is always bittersweet, but this summer brings an even bigger mix of emotions. During my countless hours spent at the library last week preparing for finals all I could think about was… Read more »