Ph.D. Anthropology. Emory University
M.S.PH. Epidemiology. Emory University
B.A. Anthropology. University of Colorado Boulder
Office: 1810 Hinman Ave., Room A54B
RESEARCH INTERESTS .
I and my students and collaborators use principles from anthropology and evolutionary biology to gain insights into the biological and health impacts of human developmental plasticity. In particular, we focus on the long-term effects of intrauterine and early postnatal environments on human development, adult health, reproduction and life history. Other projects focus on the psychobiology of social relationships, genetics and molecular biology, the evolution of the human brain and evolutionary medicine.
I am Professor of Anthropology at Northwestern University, where I am also a Fellow at the Institute for Policy Research and a founding member of Cells 2 Society, Northwestern’s interdisciplinary center for the study of health disparities. I am a co-director of the Health Inequality Network of the HCEO, serve on the Advisory Committee for the Directorate of Social, Behavioral and Economic Sciences at the National Science Foundation, and am an elected member of the National Academy of Sciences and the American Academy of Arts and Sciences. My full CV can be accessed here.
SELECTED PUBLICATIONS .
- Kuzawa CW, Barrett TM, Borja JB, Lee NR, Aquino CT, Adair LS, McDade TW. (In press). Ankle brachial index (ABI) in a cohort of older women in the Philippines: Prevalence of peripheral artery disease and predictors of ABI. Amer J Hum Biol.
- McDade TW, Ryan CP, Hoke MK, Jones MJ, Edgar RD, Borja J, Miller G, Kuzawa CW, Kobor MS. (In press). “Genome-wide analysis of DNA methylation in relation to socioeconomic status during development and early adulthood. Am J Phys Anthropol.
- Ragsdale HB, Kuzawa CW, Borja JB, Avila JL, McDade TW. (In press). Regulation of inflammation during gestation and birth outcomes: Inflammatory cytokine balance predicts birth weight and length. Am J Phys Anthropol.
- Rosenbaum S, Gettler LT, McDade TW, Belarmino NM, Kuzawa CW. (In press). The effects of collection and storage conditions in the field on salivary testosterone, cortisol, and sIgA values. Annals Hum Biol.
- McDade TW, Ragsdale H, Avila J, Borja J, Kuzawa CW. (In press). Regulation of inflammation during gestation and birth outcomes: Inflammatory cytokine balance predicts birth weight and length. Amer J Hum Biol.
- Bütikofer A, Figlio D, Karbownik K, Kuzawa CW, Salvanes KG. (2019). Prenatal testosterone transfer from male twins reduces the fertility and socioeconomic success of their female co-twins. Proc Nat Acad Sciences.
- Harrington A, Kuzawa CW, Boyer DM. (2019). Carotid foramen size in the human skull tracks developmental changes in cerebral blood flow and brain metabolism. Am J Phys Anthropol.
- Gettler, LT, Kuo PX, Rosenbaum S, Avila JL, McDade TW, Kuzawa CW. (2019). Sociosexuality, Testosterone, and Life History Status: Prospective Associations and Longitudinal Changes among Men in Cebu, Philippines. Evol Hum Behav, 40(2): 249-58.
- Sarma MS, Kuo PX, Bechayda SA, Kuzawa CW, Gettler LT. (2018). Exploring the links between early life and young adulthood social experiences and men’s later life psychobiology as fathers. Physiol Behav, 193(Pt A):82-89.
- Eisenberg DTA, Kuzawa CW. (2018). The paternal age at conception effect on offspring telomere length: mechanistic, comparative and adaptive perspectives. Philos Trans R Soc Long B Biol Sci, 373(1741).