Sara Fenech Camilleri – Bio

Hi, my name is Sara and I am a postdoctoral researcher focusing on the impact of climate and emission change on atmospheric composition and the associated influences on human health. I am originally from a small island in the middle of the Mediterranean Sea, Malta.

I obtained a BSc. in Maths and Physics at the University of Malta where I was first introduced to weather modeling. I then continued my research in simulating air pollutant concentrations across the Maltese Islands using the Weather Research and Forecasting (WRF) model for my MSc. in Physics.

After 23 years of hot summers, numerous sun burns, various scout camps and multiple traditions, in 2014 I moved to cold, wet but beautiful Edinburgh for a PhD in Environmental Science at the University of Edinburgh.  My years in Edinburgh were characterized by beautiful scenery, long hikes, great friendships and my first experience of snow. My PhD research at the University of Edinburgh examined various impacts on key air pollutants, namely O3, NO2 and PM2.5 for both present-day and future scenarios and the corresponding influence on human health.

I moved back to Malta after finishing my doctoral degree in 2018 and started a 3-year postdoc position at the University of Malta. My postdoctoral research focused on indoor and outdoor air pollution interactions through ground measurements. I have studied indoor air pollution levels in a typical home in Malta following normal daily activities such as, cooking, sweeping and lighting of candles/incense and have also analyzed the impact of the COVID-19-related restrictions on outdoor NO2 and O3 concentrations across the Maltese Islands.

I have recently ventured out of Malta again, this time out of Europe and to the Windy City, Chicago. I am now a postdoctoral scholar as part of the Climate Change Research Group at Northwestern University where I will be continuing my research on air quality together with the associated health impacts.

You can check out some of my published work by visiting my Google Scholar page.