Henry Lukela – Bio

My name is Henry Lukela. I am an undergraduate Environmental Science student at the Weinberg College of Arts and Sciences. I am originally from Ann Arbor, Michigan, and I plan to attend medical school after completing my undergraduate degree.

After my first year in college, I worked as a research assistant at the University of Michigan. I primarily focused on how ending the Public Health Emergency would affect those previously covered by Medicaid. After my second year, I worked with Ann & Robert H. Lurie Children’s Hospital on the RESCUE project. The RESCUE project focused on improving water safety on Chicago’s beaches and reducing drowning events.

This summer, I will be working with the Climate Change Research Group (CCRG), advised by Professor Dan Horton. My research project will focus on exploring predictors of adverse health outcomes during large-scale heat events in Chicago. I also plan to analyze the disparity in adverse health outcomes in different parts of the city due to an inequitable distribution of resources. To aid in my research, I will be given access to census, mortality, and hospital data to investigate any large changes in the data on days with significant heat events.