Pre-Med Student’s Leap into Finance

on

Name: Zachary Kim
Year: Sophomore
Major: Economics
Minor: Business Institutions and Chemistry
CFS Class: Business Field Studies
Employer: Three Pillars Capital

Over the winter of 2021, I interned at Three Pillars Capital, a search fund looking to acquire, operate, and grow a single business. As a pre-medicine student, this was my first internship within the finance industry, and I didn’t really know what to expect. However, my experience here has been so insightful and is something I am extremely grateful for. I have been given the opportunity to work on multiple projects spanning across a variety of industries. Through industry research and company analysis, I was exposed to a multitude of potential acquisition targets and niche verticals. I think the one aspect of the internship I found most impactful was the relationships I have built. I have been able to develop great relationships with the rest of my internship class, even though the internship was virtual. Through the Business Field Studies class that I took along with the internship, I realized these relationships are extremely potent. Through various readings about powerful networks and listening to guest lectures, I was able to reflect on the relationships I’ve built during my internship. The weekly check-in meetings and various one on one coffee chats were so valuable to my development during the internship. Not only the relationships built within my internship class, but the principal Peter Badal, really made a huge impact on my experience. He offered his time to give weekly team trainings to help guide us with any questions we had about finance recruitment, and to share his knowledge about the finance industry. I honestly could not have wished for a better internship experience in my breakthrough into the finance industry and am grateful for all the tools and relationships I have developed during my time in CFS.