Junior Gains Confidence Through CFS Experience

Name: Alexander Oelsner

Year: Junior

Major(s): Economics

Minor(s): Business Institutions Program

CFS Class: Business Field Studies

Employer: Summit Trail Advisors

CFS has been a great experience, and I think everyone should take advantage of the resources and opportunities provided. I went into the winter quarter having little idea what career path I wanted to take, and my experience helped me get a better idea of what I want to do. Although I’m not sure that the industry I interned in is the one I want to pursue, I am ending the quarter with a ton of valuable knowledge and useful connections. CFS was a great way to get a foot in the door and learn as much as possible in a business setting. For people who are getting experience in the workforce for the first time, the CFS program has amazing resources for resume advice, practice interviews, professional communication, etc. I feel much more confident for when I have to interview and sell my experiences in the future. Combined with the practical learning, I felt that the coursework complimented my work experience well and helped me learn more about the business world. I particularly enjoyed class discussions and debates; my favorite was a debate on unpaid internships and if they should be banned, and it allowed me to reflect on my own internship because it was unpaid. I enjoyed hearing the opinions and ideas of my classmates, who were all very intelligent and had a diverse range of viewpoints. Overall, I’m very happy with my internship experience and CFS helped me get as much out of it as possible.