Physics Majors in the Finance Sector?

Name: Jason Chandra

Year: Sophomore

Major(s): Physics and Economics

Minor: Energy (ISEN) Certificate

CFS Class: Field Studies in Environment, Science, and Sustainability

Employer: Milliman FRM (Financial Risk Management)

Interning at Milliman, Financial Risk Management is unarguably, the most valuable learning experience of my life. As an sophomore double majoring in Physics and Economics, I did not have any prior experience in the finance sector or coding, but most of the projects I undertook involve excel VBA coding. It was enjoyable learning how to code from scratch, and I feel that my learning curve has been exponential and will only go up. Projects I’m involved in include coding a macro to automate manual tasks for associates and employees. It was interesting to see that 50% of employees in this firm are physics/astrophysics majors! (YES! even though it’s a risk management firm!) I believe that more firms now hire individuals with a strong quantitative mindset, and ask them to apply the knowledge in a different sector. The workers treat me professionally, as I am involved in meetings, conference calls, and internal events. I definitely see myself working in a data analytics/quantitative finance field in the future, with a little less coding than what I did during my internship, and a lot more economic research.