Balancing Interning and Coursework

Name: Juliana Marchant

Year: Senior

Major: Sociology

Minor: Spanish

CFS Class: Field Studies in the Humanities

Employer: BBC Studios

Doing an internship this quarter has been surprisingly easy to manage. I’m still taking 4 classes, CFS included, but I spaced it out so that I have my internship Monday, Wednesday and Friday, with 3 hour classes Tuesday and Wednesday. This way, I can focus fully on classes and schoolwork on Tuesdays and Thursdays. I’d recommend this way of organizing if possible!

At my internship with BBC Ad Sales, I do a a lot of industry research on competitor content, campaign delivery reports and other filing in Excel. I’ve gotten some good practical exposure to tools like Google Ad Manager and Excel in the process. I’m not so sure that Ad Sales is a field I want to go into, but I’m interested in Marketing and Communications broadly, so it’s useful to be exposed to how a major publisher gets advertising revenue. The most interesting part of the internship so far has been a final project I have creative license over: some sort of report on the intersection of blockchain and advertising. I’ve only just begun working on it, but I couldn’t even define blockchain before working on it, and now I’ll be able to inform other members on the Ad Sales team about a technology that’ll shape the future of the industry.