Maintaining the Shedd Aquarium

on

Name: Christina Esposito

Year: Senior

Major: Environmental Science

Minor: Sociology

CFS Program: Field Studies in Environment, Science and Sustainability

Employer:  Shedd Aquarium

This spring I am working at Shedd Aquarium as the spring horticulture intern. I get to work alongside three amazingly knowledgeable gardeners to maintain the gardens and grounds outside of the aquarium, as well as grow organic produce to feed the animals, and tend to plants within some of the exhibits. Beyond these tasks, the Shedd gives interns tons of other amazing opportunities. So far, I have attended a book talk panel composed of the book’s authors, explored the aquarium’s exhibits, and learned about the dolphins at Shedd from their trainers and was able to pet one as well!

I am in love with the Shedd and am so grateful to CFS for helping me find this internship. My advisor told me about this position and helped me apply, which would have been much more difficult to do on my own. Interning at the Shedd Aquarium this quarter has given me access to a world of like-minded conservationists, animal lovers, and environmentalists. This experience has been more valuable and exciting than any classroom course could be. I have already learned so much and look forward to see what the rest of my internship brings!