Working Across the Globe for UNICEF

Name: Suhaib Kahn

Year: Junior

Majors: Economics and Political Science

CFS Program: Field Studies in Business Culture

Employer: UNICEF

Having dreamed of working in the international development sector, an internship at UNICEF was an ideal role for me to understand how best to tackle the problems that I feel are most pertinent in the world today. I’ve been able to, through the internship, understand what driving large-scale humanitarian relief and sustainable development entails on a day-to-day basis. Where I came in unsure even of how to pursue a career in this sector, I now have a potential career path charted out thanks to advice from my colleagues as well as my experiences in the field.

The internship is based in Amman, Jordan, so I did not expect to be able to take a class alongside it. However, the Field Studies in Business Culture Online course was more than able to accomodate. Being able to converse with other students pursuing various internships on a weekly basis has greatly supplemented my internship experience. We’ve explored a range of topics related to employment and different ways to approach career-building, all of which have been very beneficial in helping me chart my potential path for the next couple of years.

The work itself has been extremely eye-opening. Developing and implementing solutions to empower groups affected by the Syrian Crisis is a very expansive venture, and I’ve been able to step in and explore many facets of what UNICEF does in Jordan. Being able to meet vulnerable populations who’ve lived through the crisis and to understand truly their motivations and needs is crucial in developing the right solution to many of the challenges they face. I’ve gained through these experiences an invaluable insight into the mindset and key considerations required to develop solutions that can really affect change and counter the effects of a crisis. For this reason, my internship experience has been a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, and I’m glad that CFS made it possible.