Mary on her internship at OpenMarkets Health

Name: Mary

Year: Senior

Major(s): Industrial Engineering

CFS Program: Field Studies in Business Culture

The best part about my internship at OpenMarkets Health was the people I worked with. I had the best time meeting people and learning how the whole company worked through each person. My boss made sure to let me experience every part of the company including the sales team, product team, and spend time with the CEO and VPs. Most of my job as the product directory intern was to update the vast product directory with new additions from new manufacturers. The manufacturers that join the company get to buy new products through our sales team or through the product directory. I learned a lot about centrifuges, automated chemistry systems, and cytometers. These are all devices that are used in hospitals and laboratories. I would say I learned a lot from my internship. Of all the things I learned, excel was one of the biggest. Before my internship, I thought I knew how to use excel pretty well. During my internship, I got to explore how much excel can really do, and I’m so happy I got to learn more.

My CFS class had to be one of my favorite parts of summer. I was in Field Studies in Business Culture, and we had great discussions about the workplace. What really opened my eyes about the workplace were our discussions about how the workplace has turned from blue-collar to white-collar and more recently- no-collar. I really loved the small class of people. I think it helped to have a smaller group so that we could share more ideas and have time to discuss. It seemed like we could have kept talking past the end of class about our daily discussion after every class. Thats when you know it has been a great class! I am so happy I took the opportunity of joining CFS this summer.