Alice learns about the private equity industry at NextGen Growth Partners

Name: Alice

Year: Junior

Major(s): Economics, Piano Performance

Minor(s): BIP

CFS Program: Business Field Studies

My internship this summer at NextGen Growth Partners has taught me much about the private equity industry. Through the daily tasks that the interns are assigned, I assisted with and saw how the deal process works from its origination to closing. With NextGen being a search fund, my role focused heavily on research; however, NextGen has provided countless other opportunities and resources for us to hone our skills in other areas that allow us to analyze the different parts of a deal. After the entrepreneurs have selected companies within the industries that they want to look into further, we were given confidential information memorandums on the target company. By analyzing the financial performance of the target company and taking into consideration other factors like the ownership structure and business strategy of the company, the interns make a decision as to whether the company is an investment worth pursuing or not. NextGen not only provides good exposure and hands-on experience for the interns, but also enriches the internship experience with an educational component. After the interns complete the financial modeling modules, we are given the opportunity to apply this new knowledge into our weekly deal scorecard assignments. Aside from learning from the work I have been assigned, I have also been able to learn from my peers and others at the firm. NextGen assigns all undergraduate interns an MBA intern mentor as well as an entrepreneur-in-residence mentor, which was extremely helpful for me as I had the opportunity to discuss my career aspirations with people who had prior experience in the industry I want to go into, and receive advice and guidance. I am very grateful for the Chicago Field Studies program for providing me with the opportunity to work at NextGen, and also for NextGen for ensuring that all interns make the most out of their experience at the firm.