CFS Helps Essence Through the Internship Search Process

Name: Essence

Year: Sophomore

Major(s): Sociology

Minor(s): English

CFS Program: Legal Field Studies

Chicago Field Studies has been a really rewarding process for me. I am a low-income student here at Northwestern. I don’t have the connections and networking opportunities that are often afforded to students who come from more privileged backgrounds. In fact, I don’t even know anyone personally who is in the field I am hoping to join. Before this summer, I had no idea how to begin the daunting internship process.

The Chicago Field Studies program was able to help me with that. When I started, I was assigned to a [advisor] who helped me with every step of the process. I tremendously improved my resume with help from my [advisor] and some great examples that I gained access to from the program. My interview skills were solidified with practice interviews conducted by CFS alumnus. I was given a list of some amazing companies who I could choose from that my [advisor] would directly send my resume to, and my [advisor] was always there to answer any question I had throughout the entire thing, regardless of how small my question had been.

I really felt supported throughout this summer, and I am grateful for this entire experience that I would not have known how to have without the Chicago Field Studies program.