Diana Supports Her Community at 826CHI

diana-fu-photoName: Diana

Year: Junior

Major(s): Asian American Studies, Environmental Science

CFS Program: Field Studies in Humanities

My internship with 826CHI has been my first experience working on the back-end of a non-profit in development. My tasks include writing letter of inquiries for donors, copy-editing grant submissions, and doing general data analytics that can be used to provide 826CHI with important statistics about the communities we are serving. 826CHI is an arts education non-profit that provides programming and resources to support students in expository and creative writing.
I enjoy working at 826CHI a great deal for several reasons: first and foremost, I believe that every student should have the opportunity to express themselves in a way that is meaningful to them—and 826CHI helps students do that. I am heavily invested in the students I tutor, and I feel as if my work preparing letters of inquiries and grant proposals helps to maintain the possibility of this organization helping under-resourced schools, teachers, and students, who otherwise wouldn’t have had access to a high-quality writing education.
In conjunction with my CFS class focused on the humanities, I feel as if this non-profit is a very important resource to students in an age focused on garnering private capital through STEM fields, and I hope that this organization helps students, teachers, parents, and volunteers feel a little more invested and connected to their communities, and acknowledge the importance of a young individual’s narrative and voice.