Kevin and His Enlightening Experience at Shore Capital Partners

Kevin TianName: Kevin

Year: Sophomore

Major: Economics

Minor: Business Institutions Program

CFS Program: Business Field Studies

Chicago Field Studies has been one of the best decisions I have made to both prepare myself for a career in financial services, but also to learn more about work-life in an academic setting. The program combines the experiential components of working a full-time job and applies academic concepts and articles to work experiences once a week in a facilitated discussion, which was great for digesting our experiences and relating them back to our future goals. I would highly recommend this program for anyone who is looking for their first serious employment opportunity, because it really does offer the full experience in an environment with less pressure that is dedicated to learning. While I was somewhat hesitant to take on an unpaid internship at first, I am very grateful I did because now my experience is focused on what I want to get out of the experience, rather than a firm getting their money’s worth out of me. This is one of those rare times where a work experience can be dedicated to exploring your interests, learning new skills, exploring a sector, and self-reflection; I would not recommend complicating that process with financial reward.

My internship was at Shore Capital Partners, and I had a great experience. The team is supportive of my personal growth as an intern, and it has allowed me to learn more about the private equity industry and healthcare as a whole. While the work may not be modelling intensive, I believe that having a good understanding of what drives viable, profitable, and smart private equity investments is an infinitely better skill to walk away with from an internship. The internship culminates in a roadmap detailing the entry into a new industry segment, and really requires interns to show case their thought process, research, and understanding in a presentation to a partner. I have been extremely grateful for my experience both in CFS and at Shore, and could not have made a better choice for Spring 2016.