Steve Rediscovers Openlands

Steve BrandName: Steve

Year: Senior

Major: Earth and Planetary Sciences

Minor: Environmental Policy and Culture

CFS Program: Field Studies in Environment, Science, and Sustainability

This spring, I continued my Chicago Field Studies (CFS) internship by picking up where I left off – at Openlands, a non-profit conservation organization whose mission is to revive and protect Midwest wild-lands and strengthen Chicago’s access to the environment through community greening projects. As an Earth Science major, I already had an interest in the environment, but I also wanted to learn about the measures metropolitan centers were taking to diminish the negative impacts of climate change and environmental degradation. Because Openlands promotes sustainable living and educates the public on environmental issues, I felt I had found the right place.
When I posted my last CFS blog, I was barely a month into my internship, but now that I have nearly five months of experience, I feel more confident about my growth personally and professionally. I started working for the Openlands financial development team, in which my position encompassed managing contact information in the company’s donor database, processing monetary gifts, creating and sending thank-you letters, and compiling daily and weekly financial reports. However, the beginning of my internship was filled with frustration; I often felt I was stuck doing grunt work for my supervisors because my position followed strictly laid-out procedures for processing financial information. In addition, winter is a slow season for Openlands, since the weather does not permit for many outside activities or projects, so my options were limited. As a result, I originally devalued my work. However, as I gradually grew less dependent on others and became better acquainted with my workplace, I realized the significance of my position. As a non-profit, Openlands has a small staff and little economic flexibility, so my input had a larger impact than I had realized and my supervisors reassured me of this. I started to feel accepted as part of the company team.
Although my work under the financial development team was a greater priority, I was always looking for ways to diversify my internship. Fortunately, Openlands has a welcoming and friendly work atmosphere. Everyone is approachable and supportive so, despite my nerves in the beginning, I was able to connect with many office staff members. Whether it was tree allocation in forestry, public activism in community engagement, or geographical information systems (GIS) in mapping, I acquired a plethora of knowledge and professional advice from staff members in each department. Every once in a while, my supervisors had various side projects that needed attention. These were a great way to take a break from my main duties. Of these projects, my favorite by far was reviewing grant applications for the ComEd Green Region program, an Openlands program that helps fund green-space project for neighborhoods within the Chicagoland area. In addition to learning about community greening projects, I formally placed my input, along with other members of the review committee, on which projects deserved funding. This made me feel like I had an impactful role despite being an intern, especially since my judgement actually held weight on the implementation of these projects. My impact at Openlands started to feel more tangible.
As I near the end of my CFS internship and my time as an undergraduate, I feel better equipped to tackle the professional world. My internship has taught me how organize myself professionally and how to interact with other professionals. But most importantly, I feel more confident in my ability to bring something meaningful to my workplace. Ultimately, it depends on one’s perspective and I have come to realize that every bit of effort has value.