Patsy Establishes a Lasting Relationship With Red Cross

Patsy CastroName: Patsy

Year: Junior

Major: Psychology

CFS Program: Field Studies in Public Health

My Chicago Field Studies quarter has been by far the best quarter that I have had at Northwestern! This winter, I was thrilled to begin my internship with the American Red Cross and yet, I had no idea that this would mark the beginning of my career; it sparked a newfound interest in public health that ultimately modified my coursework and research experience for the upcoming year, and my career goals to come!

I love going to the Red Cross Chicago chapter each day. Not only do I get to make a difference while I am still in school, but this internship also helped prepare me for the “real” world. It has helped me learn the “ins and outs” of the office, learn more about the organization, and learn about other career interests. The project that I am working on is called patient connection, which is a family reunification program in times of a disaster. I have worked with hospitals and other organizations to expand the program.

It has been an absolute thrill coming into work each day and getting to know more about my coworkers and their daily lives with the organization; I definitely envision working with the Red Cross in the future, following graduation. I couldn’t have asked for a better internship experience, and I am so sad that the quarter is coming to a close! Luckily, though, this internship opened new doors for me and I am delighted to share with you that I will be continuing my involvement with the American Red Cross for the years to come. I am so glad to have had this opportunity; thank you for all of your help and support!